HARD STARTING

2000 Ford Explorer

fourspeed

December, 28, 2008 AT 8:44 AM

2000 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

car crangs in morning first time fine, when you drive sstop and restart it spins but not crank do a recrank three times an finally runs with no problems car has good power idles fine does not smoke or ever die I have replace fuel pump and filter twice in last 5 months also fuel pump relay. Pump does not run with ign on I thought it was supposed to run for a bit with just switch on, till it doas not see engine crank mode iwas planning to change ign switch. Car has 65 psi fuel pressure when running but o till crnk turn over

1991 Hard To Start

Engine Does Not Stay Running

Jasonray

December, 28, 2008 AT 1:43 PM

The pump should run shortly when the key is turned on because the procedure for checking fuel pressure says " connect fuel pressure guage and turn key on then observe fuel pressure.&Quot; If you can't hear the pump run when you turn the key on or if you don't have any fuel pressure, check the inertia switch. It'll either be behind the right kick panel(next to passenger side floor board) or in the dash, under the radio. The text says one location and the wiring diagram I'm looking at says another. Try the passenger side kick panel first. There will be a dark green/yellow wire and a pink/black wire. Check the green one with a test light. Probe the connector and turn the key on. If the light lights up, with the connector connected to the inertia switch, probe the pink/black wire. Turn the key off for a second and then back on. Did the test light show voltage on both wires during the test? Repost and let me know so I'll know which direction to send you in.

2CarPros Ken

December, 28, 2008 AT 1:45 PM

Hi, have you checked the fuel pressure regulator, remove the vacuum line to check for fuel, if fuel is pressent replace the regulator. Please let me know

fourspeed

December, 29, 2008 AT 11:31 AM

Checked both wires on inertia switch, with just ign on no reading, crank ing 13 volts on both wires, checked vac on pressure reg no fuel present

2CarPros Ken

December, 30, 2008 AT 8:55 PM

Does it has fuel pressure while cranking?

fourspeed

December, 31, 2008 AT 11:51 AM

When the engine starts turning over it starts building fuel pressure till engine gets enough to fire around 40 psi and settles at 68 psi. As soon as you tur ign off fuel pressure starts and goes to o. Is it supposed to hold pressure?

2CarPros Ken

December, 31, 2008 AT 2:44 PM

The pressure should jump up to about 55 and then hold the pressure. When you replaced the pump did you a factory ford pump?

fourspeed

The first change 5 months ago I used a pump from auto parts, this time I bought ford with same actions

2CarPros Ken

Hi, it sounds like it could be the regulator itself not holding pressure, or the fuel pump is bad again, or the installation of he pump is faulty, double check it and get back to me.

Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang