2000 Ford Explorer check Gauge light on for two miles, the

JIMANDKAREN
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
  • AWD
When first starting up and driving for the first two miles, the check gauge light is on, and goes off right at the two mile mark, and stays off. Then the next morning this happens again, I was told this is normal. As long as the vehicle is warmed up, it stays off.
Tuesday, December 1st, 2009 AT 3:50 PM

RICKMAR
It is not normal for the Check Engine Light to stay on for that duration of time and then go off. It should stay on for about 10 seconds or less. The OBD-II system is sensing that something is not working properly. It does not sound like it is a major problem and a big expense but something is intermittently malfunctioning.
If you have a Advance Auto Parts they can connect an "ACTRON" code scanner which looks like this:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/433905_Code_Scanner_1.jpg

to your Explorer "Free of Charge" and that will display an OBD-II code indicating exactly what the problem is.
Good Luck;
Rick
Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009 AT 1:10 PM
JIMANDKAREN
It is not the check engine light, it is the check Guage light. Thanks.
Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009 AT 6:45 PM
RICKMAR
OOppppssss. Sorry about that.
On the Check Gauge light, it is not normal the the gauge to stay on for that duration of time.

When your Explorer first starts up take a "quick" look at the "Oil Pressure" gauge, The sender unit on Explorers and Mountaineers with the 5.0L engine are very well known to fail. Sometimes the gauge will be erratic and the pointer will swing from (L)ow to (H)igh making a clicking like sound.

If it is not your oil pressure gauge check the fuel, then the temp and finally the battery gauge.

On my 1999 Mountaineer with 5.0L engine my check gauge light stays on too and I just about know when it will go off and my oil pressure gauge will start functioning.
I watched it one day and as soon as I came to a certain marker on the highway the light would go out and the gauge would function normally.
Day after day after day.

Good luck;
Rick
Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009 AT 8:36 PM