2001 Ford Explorer

SIFOTO
  • 2001 FORD EXPLORER
My check engine light came on but I haven't noticed any difference in the engine or driveability. A few weeks ago the light came on and cleaned the battey terminals but after finishing noticed that the "check engine" light had gone out and as I said it came back on but have noticed no change in engine performance. What should I do now?
Monday, March 29th, 2010 AT 1:21 PM

You need to have the computer scanned for trouble codes. Chances are the problem lies in the EVAP system if there hasn't been a change in the performance. Take it to a nationally recognized parts store and have them scan it for codes.

Let me know what you find.

NOTE: If it is EVAP related, they will try to sell you a fuel cap. Let me know what the code is before you get one. 99% of the time the fuel cap isn't bad.

Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 10:30 AM
SIFOTO
Thanks for your reply. Took it to Autozone and Advance auto parts and they scanned and it and one said that it was due to ethanol fuel and the other said I needed new spark plugs. So I decided to take it to where I knew I could get a definite answer and that being Saab Automotive(excellent service there) and they scanned and found out that it was the mas air flow module (which a Ford dealership confirmed), so I got one changed it out and all seems to be well now. Oddly enough once I changed it out, the "check engine light" went off by itself. All in all it was a lot of running around to get it done when I should have just gone to Saab Automotive in Birmingham, Al, to begin with. If it ain't broke, they won't fix it.
Anyway, thanks for your help and reply.
Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 1:10 PM
Hay, I'm glad you got it fixed. Let us know if you have questions in the future, and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.

Have a good Easter,
Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 1:14 PM