1999 FORD EXPLORER FRONT END CLUNK

• probisto
  • 1999 Ford Explorer

Suspension problem
1999 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 127000 miles

When I dip the front end or take off I'm getting a clunck that I hear and feel in the steering wheel. Also the same when going over small bumps. All of the ball joints have been replaced and shocks too. Tie rods and sway bar seem to be good also. What could be wrong?

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 11:22 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Check the sway bar bushings and the tracking bar bushings.

Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 11:42 PM
  • probisto

I will check that out.I also found out they have a common problem with the bushing/joint on the lower end of the steering rod.I can feel a little looseness when I grab that and try to move it. Also I should add that this whole problem occurs when its hot out. In the mornings I don't seem to have the issue.

Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 AT 1:52 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Let me know what you find.

Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 AT 9:30 PM
  • probisto

Sway bar bushings look original but not cracked and has newer end links.I don't think it has a track bar with rack and pinion steering. The only thing I can come up with is the lower steering shaft where it connects to the rack.I found people online with the same problem and they just live with it.I been over this thing so much but will check it again this weekend.I don't know if changing that shaft is something I can do. Thanks for the input.

Friday, July 23rd, 2010 AT 12:29 AM
  • probisto

I have concluded that the cause is the lower steering shaft.I just got done going over the whole front end and everything else seems good. Have you heard of this problem and how hard is it to replace?

Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 6:00 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Honestly, I've never replaced one, and I've been in the business for 30 years. If you have specific part names and questions, I can try to look it up for you to see what you can expect.

Let me know

Sunday, July 25th, 2010 AT 12:23 AM