COMPUTER PROBLEM1999 FORD EXPLORER V8 ALL WHEEL...

1999 Ford Explorer

classicpat

February, 3, 2010 AT 1:08 PM

Computer problem
1999 Ford Explorer V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 128500 miles

my check engine light came on about 3 weeks ago. I took it to advance auto and they put that computer thing on it and the guy told me that older suv's like this one ** the light comes on sometimes when the weather changes or is real cold. And it was cold. Unusually cold. Well he reset it. Well it came on again today so I took it back to make sure it was ok. Another guy put the computer on it and said he didn't know what that code was so he asked his boss. The boss said it was probably the thermostat. And he said my antifreeze was low. I told him it was not cause I had gotten it service a couple of weeks ago. Well he put it in anyways and it didn't take much of any.. Now that I told u all this. Do I need to put a thermostat in or is it the changing (very cold) tempertures we have been having around here. Or is it the 02 senser. Could u please give me some direction. My truck is not over heating at all and i'm confused. And yes i'm female and I hate thinking people are selling me stuff I dont need. And I dont want my truck to break down.
thank you
pat

merlin2021

February, 3, 2010 AT 1:13 PM

Pat please post the actual code. Without that we are shootin blanks! It will be PXXXX.

classicpat

February, 3, 2010 AT 1:36 PM

The man at the auto advance store could not remember the code and he said he erased it but he said it meant or said " close fuel control" - temperture koolant low. He put some in but it was such a small amount that would even go in.
pat

merlin2021

February, 3, 2010 AT 3:30 PM

Maybe this one?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_IATECTTesting_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_P0125_1.gif

Test both ECT(engine coolant temp) and (Intake air temp) sensors with an ohm meter, readings should be as in the chart above, some IAT sensors are built into the MAF(mass air flow) sensor. Most common and cheapest is the ECT about 20.00! ECT is on left front of engine in front of the throttle body.

classicpat

February, 3, 2010 AT 3:34 PM

Does this mean I need a thermostat. Or is it a sensor.

classicpat

February, 3, 2010 AT 3:37 PM

I'm sorry I realize you are telling me it's something else. But since I don't know much about this I guess I better take it somewhere.

Thank you so much

classicpat

February, 3, 2010 AT 3:45 PM

Anyways. You are talking about a sensor, right. Not the thermostat that I bought right.

I'll leave you alone on this one. I just want to know if I should take that thermostat back and find some one to fix the sensor. Also will my truck mess up if it takes me a little while before I can get the sensor fixed.

Thank u so much for putting up with me.

I'm done.

merlin2021

February, 3, 2010 AT 7:12 PM

Can be either one, but it is most commonly the ECT. You do need to test it as I said Pat. If the thermostat is weak or staying open constantly, it can do this as well. Remove the tstat, boils in water with a thermometer, dont allow the tsat to rest on the bottom, when it opens, take note of the water temp, if it's at the rated temp 195, then it good. If it opens earlier, it's not, or use a hand heal infrared themometer aimed at the thermostat housing, does the engine ever get to 224? The thermostat couldnt have been too much money, if you already have it, install it, and see if the light goes out after it warms up. Book calls for testing the sensors, but temp is temp!