1998 Ford Explorer Soft pedal after replacing line and cali

HYRAILER
  • 1998 FORD EXPLORER
I replaced all the brake lines and the left front caliper on my 1998 explorer and I bled them many times including the master and when Its not running I have a hard pedal the minute I start it I the pedal goes right down. I even used a vacum pump to bleed them and I have constant flow of fluid if I crack the bleeders where is the air stuck and how do I get it out the bleeders on top of the calipers.
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 3:43 PM

DON OLIVER
If they worked before they should work now. Check to see if pads are seated properly and not "cocking" also make sure caliper bleeder is on the top and not bottom. Good luck. If you clamp or pinch the hose does the pedal stay up when you start it? If so the problem is in the caliper area. Make sure of the pads.
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 3:54 PM
HYRAILER
The pedal is soft when I start it there is nothing wrong with pads it is an air issue I have air trapped somewhere an can't get it out!
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 8:51 PM
DON OLIVER
Well again I would suggest that you clamp off the hoses and see if the pedal is hard then. If it is, the problem lies in the wheel area. Logically it stands to reason that if the pedal is still soft, it points to the master cylinder or ABS unit. Isolate the two parts of the system and find out which one makes the pedal soft. Just because you only changed one line and caliper doesn't mean the air drawn in when the master was allowed to run dry is only in the one hose. Whatever the fluid goes through has to be suspect. IE master cylinder, abs pump. If you don't have plugs for master cylinder, I have seen people use a small nail with a large head inserted into the line removed from master and re-inserted into master. It blocks the fluid flow. If pedal is hard then, bleed the ABS. If it isn't bleed the master. If the pedal being soft means it is dropping while applying, you probably have a fluid leak.
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 1:17 AM
HYRAILER
I fixed it! I had no leaks and perfect fluid coming out all the time but still a soft pedal when I started it so I gave up and put the tires on it and tried it after hitting the brakes while running and moving the abs block did what it had to and the pedal came right up I have already put 100miles on it and it is fine. A ford mechanic said that was going to be the problem was the ABS he said it has to do what it want's and he was right!
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 10:38 AM