1994 Ford Explorer

THUKE80
  • 1994 FORD EXPLORER
Engine Cooling problem
1994 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 1994 Explorer with 183k miles. Recently my temp gauge will go to high, then drop back to normal for a few minutes, then back to high and back and forth. I turn on the heater and it shows no effect. I have noticed a loss of some coolant every week, but nothing drastic.

thank you very much for any help.
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 3:38 PM

BLACKOP555
Does temperature fluctuate coming from the vent? How much coolant is leaking out?

First step is to make sure there is no air in the system and the coolant is filled in the radiator and in the overflow bottle.

To make sure you get no air jack up the front end with radiator cap off and let vehicle get warm then top off the fluids.

Sounds like your vehicles thermostat may be sticking. Or that the guage is bad. We can test the guage and if that doesnt fix it get on checking the thermostat and water pump.
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 6:01 PM
THUKE80
There is a moderate temperature change from the vent, but not too bad. As far as leakage, I refill the reservoir about once a week. I drive on the freeway frequently and have noticed it has gotten progressively worse, running hotter before returning to mid-range.
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 6:10 PM
BLACKOP555
You notice a sweet smell from the exhaust? Interior? Engine bay?

Might be time to have cooling system pressure tested or a cylinder compression and leak down test to see if you have a issue with the head or head gasket.
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 6:59 PM
HOMER1967
The first thing you need to do is locate your leak, becuase if it's letting coolant out it's lettingair in. Try pressurizing the cooling system and looking for the leak, chek around the radiator, hoses, intake manifold and around the heater core, check your inside floorboards also. If nothing is found then pressure test the radiator cap. If it's ok then it's time for a leak down test. You may have air in the system but don't just bleed it out you need to know where it's coming from.
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 7:12 PM