1993 Ford Explorer My truck stalled on the freeway and woul

TOMFORSTER
  • 1993 FORD EXPLORER
I was driving on the freeway and I had my cruise control on it went off by itself so I put it back on and then the check engine light went on and stalled and it will not start anymore. Starting fluid wont work, Its getting fuel so im not sure what to try or replace?
Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 4:09 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

Thank You for the Donation....

Since engine light came on there is most likely a code set. You will need to pull codes...

Here's How.....

To extract DTCs from the computer for diagnostic purposes, the Self Test connector is used. It is located in engine compartment on drivers side on fender well.

1.Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature. If engine will not start or stalls after starting, proceed with next step.
2.Turn the key "OFF", then wait ten seconds.
3.Activate the self test by grounding the Self-Test Input (STI) connector.
4.Turn the ignition key "ON". Engine Light will Flash codes.
5.Record all codes received.
6.Turn ignition "OFF".

https://www.2carpros.com/images/question_images/199407/original.jpg

The following is how to read flashes...

Codes will be 2 digits.....

Flash short pause flash long pause = code 11

flash short pause flash flash would = code 12

flash flash short pause flash would = 21

and so on.

Post codes back here in forum.....
Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 7:52 PM
TOMFORSTER
The OBD reader said 542 Fuel pump circuit
Saturday, May 29th, 2010 AT 1:37 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ok, have you check to see if you are geting spark at the plugs? If so and you are getting spark what color? It should be a Bright Bluish/White. If Orange it is weak and could be the Coil Pack.

Also try disconnecting the MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor and try starting.

You say you are getting fuel did you check the fuel pressure. If not you may not have enough fuel pressure and testing the pressure will help determine if it is the fuel pump or the regulator.

.
Saturday, May 29th, 2010 AT 5:01 PM
TOMFORSTER
I already replaced the coil pack so I dont think its that, I tested the fuel pressure and when its cranking (cause it wont start up to check running pressure) I have 40 psi of pressure, I tried unplugging the MAF sensor and it still wouldnt start.

So is it the fuel pressure regulator or the pump? Possibly something else?
Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 4:53 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
The code indicates a bad ground somewhere between the PCM and the Engine. So you will need to check the grounds.

.
Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 7:54 PM
TOMFORSTER
Where in the truck should I start to look for the ground? And how would it be the ground? It cranks but doesnt start, Im just curious how.

Thank you for your help
Tom
Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 8:22 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ooops sorry, you need to check the grounds wires coming out of the PCM which is located behind passenger side of dash near kick panel.

Everything that requires power must have an appropriate ground. All electrical components need power, and the power must make it back to ground. It must be a complete circuit. That is the reason it is called a circuit.

.
Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 9:42 PM
TOMFORSTER
How do I check all of the wires? There's a ton of them, is there anything else it could be besides a ground?
Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 10:25 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ok, since the code you posted is 542 and the Code Def is Fuel Pump Circuit Open - PCM to Motor Ground, that indicates a ground problem. It could also be a Bad PCM.

There are only a few wire to check and since it is in the Fuel Curcuit through the PCM all you should have to check is the PCM Case Ground and the FPM Ground.

Look at the diagram for you engine size.

Remove the Harness to the PCM Find the Color Coded wire for the PCM Ground #20 in both Diagrams. Find grounding point and use Ohm Meter to test.

Then look for the FPM #8 in both diagrams and they are both the same color code Dark Green with Yellow Stripe. Use same proceedure as above to test.

.
Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 12:39 PM