1991 FORD EXPLORER CRANKS BUT WON'T START

• Ronjr913
  • 1991 FORD EXPLORER

1991 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 18000 miles

I got a 91' ford explorer. It was running fine yesterday I drove it, it ran no different than any other day. But when I triedstarting it this morning it wouldn't turn over. I figured it was the battery because it was one of the coldest nights last night and I figured the vold drained my battery. After I got off work I tried starting it and it just kept cranking but not turning over. Then all of a sudden it backfired and blowing my muffler apart. It cranks but wont turnover and backfires I have gas and a brand new battery. I have no idea what is wrong. Please help.

Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 4:07 PM

• Blackop555

Check for fuel pressure with a fuel pressure check guage.

Also you should be checking the spark plugs for spark, remember you have to ground out the plug so you can get spark, that is why I suggest a spark tester.

Thursday, December 25th, 2008 AT 4:13 PM
  • Ronjr913

K. Well I jus checked to see if it had spark and it didnt.

Friday, December 26th, 2008 AT 1:02 PM
  • Blackop555

Next thing is to check for +12v on one side of the coil(s)

do this with key on not cranking.

Saturday, December 27th, 2008 AT 8:51 AM
  • Ronjr913

I just tested it and it has 12v going to the coil.

Saturday, December 27th, 2008 AT 3:58 PM
  • Blackop555

You getting spark directly from coil? Distributed model?

If no spark check to see if your getting a pulsing -12v on the other terminal or if it is constant -12v

Sunday, December 28th, 2008 AT 10:54 AM
  • Ronjr913

Well I just bought a new ignition coil cause one of friends said that it would most likely be the problem and I wasn't getting a spark but I just put it in and irs sparking now but still it wont start. We sprayed starter fluid in where the air tube thing where it goes to the fuel injector and it didn't even start off that. I have no idea.

Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 5:00 PM
  • Blackop555

Check for spark on all cylinders, is it rhytmatic, maybe 2 sparks or 3 per second?

Can you get a fuel pressure check guage hooked up to the fuel rail to see? Try dumping gas down the throttle body and starting it.

Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 7:34 PM
  • Ronjr913

Well, it started! Haha. It started like an hour after I put the coil in yesterday. I think I may have flooded it. Cause when I tried starting it a hit the gas probably to much. It's running fine now, sounds real loud since the muffler is blown in two. But all that counts is that it runs. Thanks for all your help man, I couldn't have diagnosed the problem without you. Thanks a lot.

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 5:36 PM
  • Ronjr913

Well, it won't start now. Haha. I ran it all day yesterday and went to try and start it this morning and it won't turn over. It cranks but won't turnover.

Thursday, January 1st, 2009 AT 6:52 PM
  • Blackop555

Check for spark coming directly from the coil.

Let me know what you find.

Friday, January 2nd, 2009 AT 9:53 AM