2003 Ford Expedition stalling while driving and at idle

RICKINCORONA
  • 2003 FORD EXPEDITION
Guys I need a hand here! I have a 2003 Ford Expedition w/139k and it has been stalling for several months now. It started stalling at stops signs while at idle, but it starts right back up and will drive for a couple of days before it does it again. I replaced the Air Idle Control Valve and the problem went away for a while. Now the truck is stalling all the time. It will stall at idle and while driving. In the driveway I can raise RPM's and within 1-min, it will stall. It will also do the same thing while at idle. No indication that a stall is coming, it like I turned the key off. Now it is getting harder to restart. Took it to Ford and they said fuel pump was bad. Replaced fuel pump & fuel filter and it did the same thing with new pump on the way home from the shop. Not sure what to do now. Taking it back to Ford for another round of trouble shooting, but this is getting expensive. Any one have an idea where to start looking for the problem or how to correct it?
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 11:36 PM

Try cleaning the mass airflow sensor with an electronic cleaner CRC and see what happens this don't work other possibilites is the ignition switch and computer/PCM Does it always start right back up for you?
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 AT 4:27 AM
RICKINCORONA
Thank you - I will give it a try and report back.
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 AT 8:33 AM
RICKINCORONA
Cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor (didn't look too dirty) and while I was there, I checked power at the sensor and for an open circuit and all checked out fine. I also checked the IAT sensor and it was within spec, 5-volts at the plug and resistance was high as expected in the morning.

The truck started right up and I thought the cleaning was the magic bullet, but no dice. I drove it for about 5 miles and it felt really nice and smooth, no problems - I was sure I had fixed it. Then I shut it off and tried to restart and it will not start - just cranks and cranks. It did shutter a little like it was trying to start but nothing. I decided to give it a squirt of starting spray and it started instantly but died just as quickly, so I am pretty sure I have a fuel issue someplace.

Pump & filter are new as of this weekend. What else controls fuel flow? Faulty relay? (Can they be intermittent like that) Inertia switch? Fuel pressure regulator maybe? I'm stumped.

Rasmataz any more ideas? I would appreciate your thoughts on this because I'm fried!
Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 AT 2:27 AM
RICKINCORONA
Well I could not get it to start. Took it to the shop today. I will post the results.
Friday, October 15th, 2010 AT 8:54 PM
RICKINCORONA
Well, my truck has been at the dealer for 3-days now and I'm starting to get worried. They told me it was a "tough one" to diagnose. Doesn't give me much confidence. They said they are looking at a module up under the dash and feel that may be the problem. The only module I can think of is the PCM or computer. Yikes! That has to be expensive. Can those things fail where just one item, like my fuel pump, is effected? What about trying to re-flash the PCM first? If it's not the PCM there talking about, what other modules controls fuel flow?
Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 AT 8:57 AM
RICKINCORONA
Well I just heard from the dealer and they say it's a "smart junction box". What is this - the main fuse box? Is this something that can be a do it yourself type project or am I better off paying the dealer?
Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 AT 3:52 PM
DINOCORONA
Oooooooooooooooo man! I got the same problem! Did you ever get the answer. What was it?
-1
Sunday, March 20th, 2011 AT 7:42 PM