2003 Ford Expedition problem starting

JBAUMAN0921
  • 2003 FORD EXPEDITION
I have a 2003 Expedition that is having some issues starting. Whenever the vehicle sits for more than 15 minutes, it takes about 3-4 seconds to start if I just keep the key turned over. If I cycle the key on and off about 3 times before trying to start it, the vehicle starts just fine. Once running I do not have any issues. No sluggish driving, sputtering etc. I thought it was my fuel pressure regulator so I replaced it and still no joy. I am thinking maybe fuel pump, but want some other opinions. Thanks
Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 10:15 AM

The fuel pressure is droping when the key is off. When you cycle it, the pump builds the pressure. What I need you to do is a fuel pressure test. My concern isn't that the pump doesn't produce enough pressure when running, but rather how quickly the pressure drops off when the key is turned off. If I had to guess, I would say it is droping to 0PSI within a few seconds and it shouldn't do that. Let me know what you find. If I am correct, I'll help you figure out which check valve is bad. It could be the pump itself.
Thursday, April 30th, 2009 AT 3:32 PM
JBAUMAN0921
Thank you for your response. Yes I did a fuel pressure test, and within a minute t drops down to 0 PSI. Also I have tried to listen for the fuel pump to kick on, but I am not able to hear it all. Not sure if it is just a really quiet one, or if I should be hearing something. You mentioned a check valve. I am not familiar with that or where it is located. Is that something that is located in the fuel pump? Again thanks for your response and insight.
Thursday, April 30th, 2009 AT 11:44 PM
Ok. Now I need an answer to a question. When the car starts after sitting, do you ever see a black smoke coming from the exhaust? If so, that would indicate a fuel injector is leaking or a problem with the pressure regulator. If not, there is a check valve in the fuel filter and fuel pump. If the check valve is bad, it will loose it's prime. The system should hold at least 5PSI with the engine off.
Friday, May 1st, 2009 AT 9:41 PM