2000 Ford Expedition No Heat

ROBT262003
  • 2000 FORD EXPEDITION
  • AWD
I have not heat in my vehicle. I have changed the thermostat, changed and flushed the coolant and got nothing. I was told to check the heater control valve but I can not locate it. Can you help me. And is that something easy to change
Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 AT 11:11 PM

First, you don't have a heater control valve. In the vehicle is a blend door that determines if you get heat or AC. It is located near the heater core under the dash.

However, I need you to check something. With the engine running, hot, and the heater on high, feel both heater core hoses. Both should be hot.

Let me know what you find.
+1
Thursday, December 10th, 2009 AT 8:17 AM
BREPAIR
I have a 2000 ford expedition that has had no heat for the last two years. I tried thermostats
and flushed and flushed the system again and again. Flushed the heater core again and again. No heat. Changed the waterpump too. No heat. Flushed theheater core. No heat. And yes at operating tempature both heater hoses were hot. But no heat. So I said to myself what I have been deading heater core? Yes I changed the heater core. And guess what? Heat like you would not believe!I took the old heater core and sawed open the tanksand it was pluged solid with sludge. Turned out only two runs were open. With fluid being lazy it took the path of least resistance and thats what was keeping my heater hoses hot having me think there was good circulation. So for all you outher guys driving igloos on wheels be ware of the heater core when all elce fails. Warning this is not a small job! Aprox 11hrs. I am a licenced tech and its quite a job. The whole dash has to come off clear to the firewall in order to get heater core acess. Hope I have been some help brian.
+3
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009 AT 1:58 AM
JOSEARIAS
  • 2002 FORD EXPEDITION
I have replaced blend door actuator, thermostat, heater core valve, flushed hoses, flushed heater core, actuator is doing what suppose to, temperature is okay. What else could prevent heater not to work?
Thursday, December 6th, 2018 AT 5:21 PM (Merged)
MJR346
If both hoses are hot at the heater core outside, I'd look at the actuator again. Seen many of them where if not under a bind will turn but put a slight bind on them and they make a ratchiting sound and won't move. Please give more info on temperature of hoses.
JOSEARIAS
Both hoses are hot at the heater core outside.
+1
MJR346
Then I would look for an internal issue. As I stated about the blend door actuator motor, it will turn free, but put a slight bind and normally it won't turn, I change them a lot, but if both sides are hot at the heater core, I would recommend investigating inside issues such as the actuator, the door (which you replaced) or the control head
+1
JOSEARIAS
What is the function of the actuator? Blend door appears to be opening fine. Sometimes I do hear the ratching sound but not all the time. Should I just go ahead and replace the heater core and the actuator?
JOSEARIAS
I am getting only (72f) degress coming out of the vents. I am about to give up. What else should I do?
JOSEARIAS
To be honest I believe the hoses are all about the same temperatures as other hoses outside. If I step on the gas temperature coming out of the vents goes up to 74f and drops back to 68f?
JOSEARIAS
  • 2002 FORD EXPEDITION
Ford expedition 2002 heater not working 136000 miles. Already checked actuator, t-stat, plastic vent replaced antifreezer liquid, core, (looks good). Still not heating
FIXITMR
When engine is hot are hoses hot in and out of core?
MJR346
That's why I asked about the temperature of the hoses for. If both going into the firewall with engine temperature at mid range should be too hot to handle on both hoses if the core is operating properly.

If you are hearing the ratchiting, it's probably the actuator. The actuator moves the blend door using a electrical motor. These things are known to strip out the plastic gear built into them and will ratchet and make noise or cause luke warm temperatures.
BMRFIXIT
Heater Core Plugged

WARNING: The heater core inlet hose will become too hot to handle if the system is working correctly.

Check to see that the engine coolant is at the proper level.
Start the engine and turn on the heater.
When the engine coolant reaches operating temperature, feel the heater core outlet hose to see if it is hot.
If it is not hot:
the heater core may have an air pocket
the heater core may be plugged.
Mjr346 is correct. If both hear core hoses are hot, the heater core has to be hot too. Thus, the only other thing left is the blend door actuator. As he mentioned, if you hear a ratcheting sound, something is slipping. Most likely the plastic gear that is built into them.
JOSEARIAS
  • 2002 FORD EXPEDITION
Ford expedition 2002 heater not working.
Is the blower motor coming on and blowing but no heat? If so check the thermostat, heater core, heater control valve and the air blend door-
JOSEARIAS
Did all the above and still no heat. What else could prevent heater not to work? Could a previous mechanic phisically pulled out a wire or plug to stopping from working? He recommended to replaced blend door which I did but still not working.
JOSEARIAS
  • 2002 FORD EXPEDITION
2002 ford expedition 136,000 miles heater not working.
Is the coolant full? With the engine warm, running, and the heater on high, do both heater core hoses get hot?

NOTE: I am assuming the blower motor is working and you are getting cold air. If that isn't the case, let me know.

TRING6156
  • 2000 FORD EXPEDITION
The heater in the front only gets warm and the rear heater stays cold. The thermostat is operating correctly and the vehicle maintains a good steady operating temperature. The front heater core was replaced 2 years ago.