MISFIRE 1 AND 4

• ELLEN
  • Ford Escort

MY 1998 FORD ESCORT ZX2 2.0 ENGINE LIGHT IS STAYING ON AFTER NEW PLUGS AND WIRES. WHAT ELSE COULD BE THE PROBLEM? I DONT REALLY CARE TO REPLACE EVERY PART THERE IS TO FIND OUT. I JUST HAD MY TRANSMISSION REBUILT AND THAT WAS ENOUGH $$$. THE CODES ARE SAYING MISFIRE 1 AND 4. APPRECIATE THE HELP. MILAGE 107,000. I THINK IT RUNS GOOD.

Saturday, January 20th, 2007 AT 9:40 AM

• Bruce Hunt

Purchase a repair manual from the parts store. Good investment. Should be only one master and one slave as opposed to the brakes with one master and four slaves. They are rather simple to do but the key is the bleeding of the new one prior to the installation and that is always covered in the box of the new one.

Tuesday, November 14th, 2006 AT 2:34 PM
  • mathiaso

Misfiring in cylinder 1 and 4 is the failure of the fuel/air mixture in the named cylinders to undergo combustion while the car is running.
This can be due to poor compression caused by worn or improperly adjusted valves, worn piston rings, or faulty head gasket. Or it can be caused by poor ignition due to worn or dirty spark plug electrodes, worn or improperly gaped spark plugs, poor fuel delivery, faulty ignition wiring, or faulty distributor component.

Saturday, January 20th, 2007 AT 2:35 PM
  • Cosmo

So you changed the spark plugs and wires.

First question. The engine light was cleared after you changed the plugs right?

Second question. Does your engine have the one piece coil that all four wires plug into? If 'yes' then I would remove the coil and check on the bottom of it for any burn or crack marks.

Cosmo. Mazda TEch

Saturday, January 20th, 2007 AT 9:10 PM
  • Jack42

That vehicle should have 2 coils. 1 fires 1, 4 the other 2, 3. Iwould replace the coiul on the related cylinders

Monday, January 22nd, 2007 AT 5:46 PM