Battery trouble

DWBUCK11
  • FORD ESCORT
I have a '99 ford escort wagon 2.0 L 4-cyl. With 110,000 miles. The battery just recently starting going, and I thought I'd discharged it during an outing with friends. So I had to battery and alternator tested at autozone telling me the alt was fine but the battery was old. After buying a new one, the battery indicator was on from the start and it died within thirty miles. I charged it fully at autozone and now the battery indicator is on again after starting it only once. What's my next (and preferably cheapest) move?
Monday, November 5th, 2007 AT 8:59 PM

Do this get a voltmeter read the battery before you start the Maz it should read above 12.4 volts and over - record reading. Now start it up and turn headlights On and heater to high. Your reading should be between 13.5-15.5 volts- If not the alternator is not putting out.

Also the battery might not be taking the charge, or the electrical system has a short creating an excessive current draw.
Tuesday, November 6th, 2007 AT 6:51 AM