1989 Ford Escort new battery won't hold charge

• 1 POST
  • 1989 FORD ESCORT

1989 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 86,000 miles

I bought a company car when I retired a 89 ford escort LX 4 cyl or 6 cyl I think its a 4 cyl been parked for 10 years bought new battery last week will start unless it sets over night then it won[t even try to start alternator is good, battery is good when it is turned off the battery is still being drained I know its a electrical problem but I have no idea whats draining my battery overnight and the next day I turn the key on and nothing even my gauges don't move. Can you help me. Thank you.

Monday, July 12th, 2010 AT 10:04 AM

• 710 POSTS

Check amp draw, if excessive, pull fuses one at a time, when the amp draw returns to normal, the last fuse pulled is the problem circuit.

Used to, we would take battery cable loose, use testlite between battery cable end and battery post. If the came on and stayed on, we had a drain. We would pull fuses one at a time when lite went out, the problem was on that fuse circuit.

Monday, July 12th, 2010 AT 10:14 AM