1998 Ford Escort speedometer/odometer quit working

LDHLJLJQ
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT
I changed the battery for my 1998 Ford escort and since then the speedometer/odometer quit working.

Q1: could it be cuased by something in battery change?

However, the Enginer Check light is not on.

Q2: What could be the problem then?

I am not sure if the speedometer is driven by cable or just electricial VSS. How I could tell or get this information?

If I need to replace VSS, where is it located?

thanks a lot.
Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 10:26 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi ldhljljq,

Thank you for the donation.

VSS is electrical and located on lower rear of transaxle, somewhere beow the throttle body.

The VSS should not be afffected by the battery change but if the speedomewter needle had overshot, then yes, it is caused by power surge. Returning the needle to its original position should work.

CEL might not show for such problem and the only way to find out if any trouble codes are recorded is to get a scan done.
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 5:38 AM
LDHLJLJQ
I guess I need to check the needle first. Any insructions on how to do it? Do I need to take out the entire instrument cluster? If so, how?
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 8:31 AM
KHLOW2008
If the needle is seated at its normal position, then there is nothing wrong with it. If it is pointing to bottom of gauge, then it has overshot.

To do it you would have to remove the instrument cluster, at least the face.
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 10:04 AM
LDHLJLJQ
The needle is pointing to 0 mph now and doesn't drop below that. I think it means the normal position?

By the way, do you have a diagram to show the location of VSS in case I have to replace it?

Thanks a lot.
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 10:52 AM
KHLOW2008
Yes, the needle is in the normal position.

Sorry our database does not have any diagrams for the location of the VSS.

It should be somewhere around the red circle.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_TransmissionTag98Escort_2.jpg

Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 11:50 AM
DMSJRO1
I just changed this in my 98 escort wagon. It is located just above the right shaft. It was not a fun job because the 2 different metals welded themselves together. I had to drill and tap and use a slide hammer to get it out! Good luck.
Monday, September 13th, 2010 AT 1:14 PM