Fuel gauge is not going below half even when empty

ED DEVENEYEDDEV
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT

Fuel pump will only drop and gets stuck at a half tank. I can add fuel and gauge will go but as you use up gas will stop and stay one half. I have been reading a lot and an confused what to do and how to start. Also looked at owner manual and cannot find location of pump and whether or not my tank would have tone dropped to get to the bottom or if all could be done on the outside. Look forward to your help

Thursday, April 9th, 2015 AT 11:07 AM

2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like the level sensor has gone out here is a video that will show you how to replace it.

https://youtu.be/D1AyqeftAmA

I was trying to point out is while I cannot get the gauge to go below the I can add gas and watch the needle go up to full. So while it is stuck trying to go below a half tank I can add gas and get the needle to go up. Ism not stalling. The car runs good. Hope this helps. Thank you, ed"

Please click on the "Leave a Reply" button on the bottom so you come back to this same page. If you start a new post every time, everyone will have a chance to reply but no one will know what we're talking about when they come in the middle of our conversation.

Sounds like the float for the fuel gauge is hanging up inside the tank. If your gauges normally go all the way down when you turn the ignition switch off, and that happens with the fuel gauge, you know that is okay and the problem has to be in the tank. If your gauges stay right where they were when you turn the ignition switch off, you'll have to unplug the connector at the pump assembly. That should make the gauge go down when you turn the ignition switch back on.

Mechanics also have the ability to run all the gauges all the way up and all the way down with their scanners to test if they're functioning properly.

I have an idea your engine stalls once the gas tank becomes half empty. If that is right, suspect a dry-rotted rubber hose on the pump assembly. That allows it to draw up air instead of gas.

You can get to the pump by removing an access cover under the rear seat cushion. There's two clips at the front of the cushion.

Please let me know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Best, Ken

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:36 PM
CROGERS793
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT

98 ford escort fuel gauge stuck on half, how do I fix it

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:37 PM (Merged)
FIXITMR

You could try banging on bottom of tank with rubber hammer to see if it's stuck and unstick it?

MHPAUTOS

If you hit the tank it may free it up, but I would be fitting a new sender then you know it will be correct.

BATMAN2
  • 1997 FORD ESCORT

1997 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

We just replaced the fuel pump, was told it might be a ground, battery ground okay. Where are other grounds located?

If the fuel pump is working, the ground should be fine. They work from the same ground.

As far as the gauge, was there a new float and rheostat included with the fuel pump?

BATMAN2

Installed the whole fuel pump assembly. New float & everything.

Did the gauge work prior to fuel pump replacement?

HLRAMOS61
  • 1997 FORD ESCORT

Hello. I have a 1997 Ford Escort, and recently my Fuel Guage has stoped working(Stuck on 1/2). Shortly after I thought it was my Fuel Sending Unit. SO I bought a Brand NEW one, and installed it. My Fuel Guage Still didnt work after a full tank stuck on 1/2 way is it a fuse or the gauge

Check for power at the FSU if okay-could be the gauge is out of calibration

-1
DINKY418
  • 1997 FORD ESCORT

1997 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 147000 miles

my gas gauge is stuck on half a tank and wont move at all even when shut off or turned on have already replaced the fuel sending unit and checked fuses. Dont know what else to do.

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Hello and thanks for donating

If you have already replaced the fuel level sensor unit and the issue remains the same then the wiring to the cluster gauge will need tested. Either the wiring or the fuel gauge / cluster itself is bad, so if the wiring all checks out OK than the gauge/cluster needs replaced.

BLACKWILL
  • 1994 FORD ESCORT

1994 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 116000 miles

Just bought the Escort used, as is, and noticed the fuel gauge is faulty. Gauge reads a bit past Full 90% of the time, but does fluctuate to Empty and back every so often, so I know the needle is not stuck on the stop pin. The question is: What is the best way to repair/replace the fuel gauge, and can it be done without removing the instrument panel?

Thanks in advance for the help!

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Suspect faulty fuel gauge sending unit. The sending unit, located in the fuel tank, is what tells the fuel gauge where the needle should be at.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

BLACKWILL

Thanks! I guess that's a bit more involved than yanking out the instrument panel.

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Yeah. If it were a newer model vehicle with the hi tech digital gadgets it would probably be simply replacing the instrument panel. But then again that would cost a lot more as well.

BLACKWILL

I'm going to assume that a sensor inside the fuel tank is not something for a "do-it-yourself" project, then? Probably best to send the bad boy out for this repair?

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Unless you have experiencing with this type of work then, yes, I do suggest sending to a reputable repair shop. Anytime you are working around gasoling or any flammable liquid it makes the job that much more dangerous. So if you do not have the proper training then you could end up doing more damage to the vehicle and even worse you may harm yourself.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

NOMADRIDER
  • 2002 FORD ESCORT

2002 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180600 miles

The fuel guage is stuck on full. It never moves even when ignition is off.

JACK42

Find the wiring that goes to the tank unit (inside fuel tank) ground the yellow/brown wire while someone watches the gauge, if it doesnt move it is either a wiring problem frm the dash or the gauge is bad