1998 Ford Escort 1998 Ford Escort Timing Belt

KATYG1
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT
1998 Ford Escort 4 cyl Automatic 116000 miles

My timing belt broke but I dont know how to fix it! Can you help?
Saturday, April 25th, 2009 AT 8:10 AM

JACOBBESANCENEY
I have done a timing belt on a 98 Escort before, and you must know that although it's not that hard to do, it is hard to get to and this job will take great patience. You must first remove the plastic mud guards from inside your wheel well and under the passenger side of your engine. Remove your serpentine belt and inspect it. If it has cracks or has teeth missing, replace it as well. Once you have done this you will see your crankshaft on the very bottom. The outside pulley will have to be removed to access the timing belt and it's cover properly. After you remove the timing belt cover take out the broken belt. Refer to a manual as to where the timing mark on the crankshaft needs to be. There is a timing belt tensioner that will put slack in the belt so that you will be able to fit it into place over the right pulleys. After you are sure you have gotten the timing marks right and the timing belt installed properly put it back together. You will definitely need another hand or two b/c you will need to access the top of the engine and the bottom at the same time occasionally throughout this proces.
Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 12:34 AM