SPORT, 123K MILES, 1.9L

1996 Ford Escort

mdickson

June, 26, 2007 AT 6:33 PM

I have a 1996 Ford Escort Sport with a 1.9L engine, 123K miles that recently started running a bit rough. I got a check engine light---checked oil, air filter, trans fluid, coolant--all is well. The temp guage is in the normal and nothing electrical seems to be out of the ordinary. When the engine is cool it seems fine but after running for a few minutes it seems to stumble while idling. Once I start driving, it seeems like at times it's not getting enough fuel. It will run fine, then stumble on accelleration, then surge back to normal for a a few seconds, and go back and forth between normal and stumbling. I replaced the fuel filter and noting improved. I replaced the alternator about 10 months ago, along with a new serpentine belt and tentioner. It's going to cost me $80 to have to diagnostic run, and I could replace the fuel pump myself if I knew that was the issueany ideas?

jwalth02

June, 26, 2007 AT 7:09 PM

$80 to run a diagnostic? Where are you going? The dealer? If the check engine light is still on just take it to autozone, they do it free. They'll tell you what the scanner says and you can fix it from there. It's probably gonna be something with the plugs or distributor just giving bad spark or inside the cylinder itself. Good luck, let us know what happens.

mdickson

June, 26, 2007 AT 9:01 PM

I went to tires plus for the quote--I've had work done there before and haven't had trouble. There are not any Autozone locations where I am at (Duluth, MN)---do you know any other places that do free diagnostics?

I remember at some time in the past there was a way to check the come manually----I had a car that, if you turned the ignition on and off in a certain sequence it would flash the headlights in sequence that corresponded to a failure code. Does that exist anymore?

Replace Heater Core
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage