ENGINE LIGHT ON AND ROUGH RUNNING WHEN WET

2004 Ford Escape

escape owner

August, 24, 2010 AT 11:15 AM

2004 Ford Escape 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

I washed my engine with a pressure washer. The engine light came on and it backfired and ran rough until it dried out a few days later. Sometimes when it rains and the car is sitting outside, it does the same thing. If I am driving and it starts to rain, it runs fine.

Wrenchtech

August, 24, 2010 AT 11:43 AM

If you haven't learned this lesson already, let me advise you. You should NEVER, EVER was an engine with water. There are way too may sensitive modules that can be damaged these days. Your vehicle has a coil on plug system and you likely got water down under the coils. You may have to remove the coils and get it good and dried out and hope nothing is permanently damaged. A blow dryer will be helpful.

escape owner

August, 24, 2010 AT 12:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. How about using WD40? I used it on Distributors in the past. It displaces water.

Wrenchtech

August, 24, 2010 AT 12:24 PM

Yes, WD40 would be OK for residual moisture but if the spark plug tubes are full of water, that will have to be blown out after the coil is removed.