2002 FORD ESCAPE BATTERY LIGHT

• iskigordon@aol.com
  • 2002 Ford Escape

2002 Ford Escape 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 109000 miles

The Battery light comes on after starting when you depress the accelerator. It is off on idling. I had the battery tested at Advnce Auto Parts and it shows 494 CCA. Starter Test was cranking normal. Charging system test show Essesive Ripple but is charging at 13.84 v, 3.2 a. Any ideas. Is the alternator going bad?

Tuesday, December 29th, 2009 AT 8:28 PM

• ImpalaSS

Hello

Advance Auto parts should be able to tell you if your alternator was putting out steady and if bad. If they are not sure then go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.

If the alternator checks good then it may be your belt tensioner is not keeping proper tension as the spring may be weak.

Tuesday, December 29th, 2009 AT 9:25 PM
  • iskigordon@aol.com

Thanks for the advise. I took the truck to a repair shop who identified that the alternater was defective. This was replaced and all is well now.

Monday, January 4th, 2010 AT 6:28 PM
  • ImpalaSS

Hello

I am glad your vehicle is fixed. Thanks for the update

Tuesday, January 5th, 2010 AT 7:45 PM
  • ImpalaSS

Hello

Also, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Recall_Escape_1.jpg

Tuesday, January 5th, 2010 AT 7:48 PM