1999 Ford E-Series Van A/C not cold enough

JOHNJMARCELLO
  • 1999 FORD E-SERIES VAN
Air Conditioning problem
1999 Ford E-Series Van V8

Hi
I just replaced the evaporator coil, accumulator and orifice tube, because of poor air flow from a dirty clogged evaporator coil. The tempature coming out of the vent on hi still does not get cold enough. (57 - 58 degrees going 55 - 75 mph and 60 - 63 degrees going 40 - 55 mph) My mechanic says all pressure readings are normal and he can't find anything wrong. I checked the heater core and stopped the flow of hot water and it did not raise the temperature at all. Is it me or do you agree I have a problem? What is the normal working pressures at Idol at 90 degree temp? What can I check next to get it colder? Its hot here in Florida.
Thank You
John Marcello
Tuesday, August 5th, 2008 AT 1:09 PM

DOCFIXIT
Need high and low side readings
High 180-200
Low 35-45
Make sure fan clutch is hooking up also must have no outside air comming in.
Post readings blower on high 1500rpms door open
Tuesday, August 5th, 2008 AT 1:28 PM
JOHNJMARCELLO
Here are my gauge readings.
Low 46 - High 275 idoling and fan on high
Low 30 - High 230 - 240 idoling fan on low
Low 32 - High 325 - (360 second time I checked), 1500 rpm fan high
Low 23 - High 260 - (270 second time I checked), 1500 rpm fan low

The fan clutch works. The temperature in the vent would not go lower than 70 degrees. Sorry I did not open the door on the test.

What do I test or look for now?

Thank You
Thursday, August 7th, 2008 AT 7:01 PM
DOCFIXIT
The high side is a little on the up side but compared to the low system function appears good.
The low readings indicate the evaporator is cold you should be getting 38 vent temp. So the most likely cause is outside air must be getting into plenum after it passes through evap. Make sure recurcilate door is closed far right side pass. Does system work in all modes ie. Def, floor?
Is fan flow good?
Was evap a snug fit so air could not get by it and did you notice blend door had the foam insulation on it?
It either air getting or fan forced air is giong by evap instead of through it to cool.
Friday, August 8th, 2008 AT 1:20 PM