WON'T START UNLESS JUMPED.NEW BATTERY

2000 Ford Contour

Jskywalker

December, 23, 2008 AT 7:08 PM

2000 Ford Contour 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

in 2 degree weather my battery went dead. Car would run with jump start. I bought a new battery but car still has to be jump started. Any ideas?

Dave H

December, 23, 2008 AT 7:21 PM

Check the ground wires from battery to chassis/engine block

Jskywalker

December, 23, 2008 AT 7:39 PM

Thanks Dave, the ground is ok but I'm thinking starter. Can you tell me when we jump start the car does that engage the silnoid (sic)?

Dave H

December, 23, 2008 AT 7:50 PM

When you jump start a vehicle all you are doing is adding more voltage(power) to your battery and also giving you battery a seperate ground point (other vehicles grounds) if the starter is turning over the car good off 14 volts from another car running it should still turn the car over with a good battery putting out 12.5 volts @ crank. I would be checking your battery and earth points before changing starter or solonoid.. Use a voltmeter over battery terminals it should have 12+ volts to crank engine over. It is possible the starter is worn and needs replacing. This would give you a very sluggish cranking (turning over very slowly) if this is the case replace starter?

Jskywalker

December, 23, 2008 AT 8:06 PM

Hooray. We got it started. They went back and checked the ground, cables, etc and did a little more cleaning on the cables and it started. Nothing like trying to work on a car when it's 15 degrees outside. Thank you so much for suggestions. I was thinking big bucks which I don't have right now. Have Happy Holidays.

Dave H

December, 23, 2008 AT 8:20 PM

Happy holidays too you tooo

Happy motoring

Dave H

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test