2000 FORD CONTOUR WON'T START UNLESS JUMPED.NEW BATTERY

• Jskywalker
  • 2000 Ford Contour

2000 Ford Contour 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

in 2 degree weather my battery went dead. Car would run with jump start. I bought a new battery but car still has to be jump started. Any ideas?

Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 7:08 PM

• Dave H

Check the ground wires from battery to chassis/engine block

Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 7:21 PM
  • Jskywalker

Thanks Dave, the ground is ok but I'm thinking starter. Can you tell me when we jump start the car does that engage the silnoid (sic)?

Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 7:39 PM
  • Dave H

When you jump start a vehicle all you are doing is adding more voltage(power) to your battery and also giving you battery a seperate ground point (other vehicles grounds) if the starter is turning over the car good off 14 volts from another car running it should still turn the car over with a good battery putting out 12.5 volts @ crank. I would be checking your battery and earth points before changing starter or solonoid.. Use a voltmeter over battery terminals it should have 12+ volts to crank engine over. It is possible the starter is worn and needs replacing. This would give you a very sluggish cranking (turning over very slowly) if this is the case replace starter?

Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 7:50 PM
  • Jskywalker

Hooray. We got it started. They went back and checked the ground, cables, etc and did a little more cleaning on the cables and it started. Nothing like trying to work on a car when it's 15 degrees outside. Thank you so much for suggestions. I was thinking big bucks which I don't have right now. Have Happy Holidays.

Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 8:06 PM
  • Dave H

Happy holidays too you tooo

Happy motoring

Dave H

Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 8:20 PM