2000 Ford Contour Car won't start

Tiny
OGEDAY
  • MEMBER
  • 2000 FORD CONTOUR
  • 6 CYL
  • 2WD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 74,000 MILES
I recently bought this car. First I saw some leak signs but my mechanic told me add Lucas seal and no need to fix. I also had the sign for the cooler on. It has been cold for couple of days recently 29 degrees or so. I started the car last week to warm it up, and when it was warm I put it on D and the car dies. Couple of tries later it starts again. This morning same thing happened again, however now it does not even start. I dont know what the problem is, and I dont know much about cars. Please help.
Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Sunday, December 14th, 2008 AT 4:27 PM

3 Replies

Tiny
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • EXPERT
Mass air flow sensor may be bad. Idle may be low caused by leaking or broken vacuum lines or dirty clogged throttle body and air filter. Idle air control valve may be sticking.

I suggest first try to put engine in drive after you have removed the air cleaner box and filter.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, December 14th, 2008 AT 4:42 PM
Tiny
OGEDAY
  • MEMBER
Thanks for quick answer but as I said I am not familiar with cars at all. I want to take it to mechanic but now it wont start at all. Should I wait a day or so, do you think it will start? Or how do I do what you suggested.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, December 14th, 2008 AT 4:45 PM
Tiny
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • EXPERT
The only way to do this is to remove a spark plug at a time and check for water. This can be dangerous though so I suggest letting someone with experience do it. I will list the steps though, if you feel as though you can do this.

Pull the boot (black rubber part of plug wire) off the spark plug and hold it about 1/4" from the spark plug and have someone turn the key and crank the engine in short bursts. If you have spark you will see it jump from the boot to the spark plug in bright blue color. If spark is dull and orange, plugs need replaced. Please use insulated gloves and you can also use insulated pliers to protect yourself in case there is a small cut in one of the wires. This will alllow the spark to go through your body. It is not deadly, but trust me, it HURTS.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, December 14th, 2008 AT 4:58 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides