1985 Ford Bronco Front 4X4 wheel bearing replace diagram

THAMESHARTLEY
  • 1985 FORD BRONCO

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1985 Ford Bronco V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 162000 miles

Do you have a diagram for replacement position of parts for the front wheel bearings

Saturday, October 25th, 2008 AT 3:29 PM

JNOVACK
  • 733 POSTS

Witch axle do you have the Dana 44 IFS, Dana 44 IFS-HD and Dana 50 IFS or the Dana 60 Monobeam

Saturday, October 25th, 2008 AT 5:16 PM
THAMESHARTLEY

DANA 44 IFS WITH LOCKING HUBS

+5
Saturday, October 25th, 2008 AT 10:26 PM
JNOVACK
  • 733 POSTS

Dana 44 IFS, Dana 44 IFS-HD and Dana 50 IFS

See Figures 1and 2

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_0900c1528004bc5d_1.jpg

Fig. 1: Spindle, left shaft and joint installation for the Dana 44 and 50 front axles

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_0900c1528004bc5f_1.jpg

Fig. 2: Carrier and slip yoke, stub shaft installation on the Dana 44 and 50 IFS1.Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
2.Remove the front wheels.
3.Remove the calipers.
4.Remove the hub/rotor assemblies.
5.Remove the nuts retaining the spindle to the steering knuckle. Tap the spindle with a plastic mallet to remove it from the knuckle.
6.Remove the splash shield.
7.On the left side, pull the shaft from the carrier, through the knuckle.
8.On the right side, remove and discard the keystone clamp from the shaft and joint assembly and the stub shaft. Slide the rubber boot onto the shaft and pull the shaft and joint assembly from the splines of the stub shaft.
9.Place the spindle in a soft-jawed vise clamped on the second step of the spindle.
10.Using a slidehammer and bearing puller, remove the needle bearing from the spindle.
11.Inspect all parts. If the spindle is excessively corroded or pitted it must be replaced. If the U-joints are excessively loose or don't move freely, they must be replaced. If any shaft is bent, it must be replaced.
12.Clean all dirt and grease from the spindle bearing bore. The bore must be free of nicks and burrs.

To install:

13.Insert a new spindle bearing in its bore with the printing facing outward. Drive it into place with drive T80T-4000-S for F-150 and Bronco and F-250, or T80T-4000-R for the F-350, or their equivalents. Install a new bearing seal with the lip facing away from the bearing.
14.Pack the bearing and hub seal with grease. Install the hub seal with a driver.
15.Place the thrust washer on the axle shaft.
16.Place a new slender on the axle shaft.
17.Install the rubber V-seal on the slinger. The seal lip should face the spindle.
18.Install the plastic spacer on the axle shaft. The chamfered side of the spacer should be inboard against the axle shaft.
19.Pack the thrust face of the seal in the spindle bore and the V-seal on the axle shaft with heavy duty, high temperature, waterproof wheel bearing grease.
20.On the right side, install the rubber boot and new keystone clamps on the stub shaft and slip yoke. The splines permit only one way of meshing so you'll have to properly align the missing spline in the slip yoke with the gapless male spline on the shaft. Slide the right shaft and joint assembly into the slip yoke, making sure that the splines are fully engaged. Slide the boot over the assembly and crimp the keystone clamp.
21.On the left side, slide the shaft and joint assembly through the knuckle and engage the splines in the carrier.
22.Install the splash shield and spindle on the knuckle. Tighten the spindle nuts to 60 ft. lbs.
23.Install the rotor on the spindle. Install the outer wheel bearing into the cup. Make sure that the grease seal lip totally encircles the spindle.
24.Install the wheel bearing, locknut, thrust bearing, snapring and locking hubs.
25.Install the caliper.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_0900c1528004bc9f_1.jpg

1.Raise and support the front end on jackstands placed under the radius arms.
2.Remove the wheels.
3.Remove the calipers and wire them out of the way. Don't disconnect the brake lines.
4.Support the axle arm with a jack and remove the upper coil spring retainers.
5.Lower the jack and remove the coil springs, spring cushions and lower spring seats.
6.Disconnect the shock absorbers at the radius arms and upper mounting brackets.
7.Remove the studs and spring seats at the radius arms and axle arms.
8.Remove the bolts securing the upper attachment to the axle arm and the lower attachment to the axle arm.
9.Disconnect the vent tube at the housing. Remove the vent fitting and install a 1/8 inch; pipe plug.
10.Remove the pivot bolt securing the right side axle arm to the crossmember. Remove and discard the boot clamps and remove the boot from the shaft. Remove the right drive axle assembly and pull the axle shaft from the slip shaft.
11.Support the housing with a floor jack. Remove the bolt securing the left side axle assembly to the crossmember. Remove the left side drive axle assembly.
12.Installation is, basically, a reversal of the removal procedure. Always use new boot clamps. Observe the torque values listed in of this information.
Driveshaft-to-flange: 15-20 ft.lb.
Spindle connecting rod-to-knuckle: 70-100 ft.lb.

-1
Sunday, October 26th, 2008 AT 6:41 PM
CHEERS2UUU
  • 1996 FORD BRONCO

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1996 Ford Bronco V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

I am trying to replace the outer wheel bearings on my 1996 Ford Bronco. I have gotten as far as the wheel bearing itself but cant figure out how to get the old one out. Can you please give me some direction and direct me to a schematic diagram of the front end of the Bronco. Thanks

Tuesday, January 10th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM (Merged)
MERLIN2021

Removal (4WD W/Automatic & Manual Locking Hubs) 1. Raise vehicle, and support with safety stands. Remove wheel assembly and caliper. On vehicles with automatic locking hubs, separate hub cap from hub body assembly by removing 5 Torx (T25) head cap screws. Remove cap. DO NOT drop spring, ball bearing, bearing race or retainer. 2. Remove rubber seal and seal bridge from retainer ring space. Remove retainer ring by squeezing ends together. Remove hub body assembly. Remove "C" washer and splined spacer from spindle. On vehicles with manual locking hubs, separate hub cap from hub body assembly by removing 6 Allen head screws. 3. Remove snap ring attaching hub body assembly to spindle. Remove lock ring seated in groove of hub. See Fig. 8 . Remove hub body assembly. If hub body does not come out easily, install 2 hub cap screws into hub body, and pull hub body out of hub. 4. On vehicles with automatic locking hubs, use Spanner Lock Nut Wrench (D85T-1197-A) to remove outer lock nut. See Fig. 9 . Remove lock washer. Using spanner lock nut wrench, remove inner lock nut. Remove outer wheel bearing and rotor. 5. On vehicles with manual locking hubs, use Spanner Lock Nut Wrench (T86T-1197-A) to remove wheel bearing adjusting nut. Remove outer wheel bearing, and then rotor. Installation 1. On vehicles with automatic locking hubs, install rotor and outer wheel bearing. Install inner lock nut. While rotating disc back and forth, seat bearing by using Spanner Lock Nut Wrench (D85T-1197-A) to tighten inner lock nut to 50 ft. lbs. (68 N.m). Back off inner lock nut, and retighten to 30-40 ft. lbs. (41-54 N.m). 2. Install lock washer so key is in spindle groove. Tighten inner lock nut to engage lock nut pin in nearest lock washer hole. Install outer lock nut, and tighten to 160-205 ft. lbs. (217-278 N.m). Spindle end play should be less than .004" (.10 mm). 3. On vehicles with manual locking hubs, install rotor and outer wheel bearing. Install adjusting nut. While rotating disc back and forth, seat bearing by using Spanner Lock Nut Wrench (T86T-1197-A) to tighten adjusting nut to 70 ft. lbs. (95 N.m). 4. Back off adjusting nut 90 degrees, and retighten to 15-20 ft. lbs. (20-27 N.m). Spindle end play should be zero. To install remaining hub body components, reverse removal procedure. See Fig. 7 . NOTE: Hub nuts are right-hand thread on both sides. Each hub is stamped RH to show thread direction. DO NOT use power impact tools to remove or install hub nuts. Hub nuts will ratchet unless Hub Wrench (T88T-4252-
5/5/2010 ...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_h1_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_h2_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_h3_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_R1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_r2_1.jpg

+3
SHANE COOK

Thanks for the information, but my problem is that I have replaced everything and putting back together, but I don't have enough room on the spindle to put the spindle shaft spacer washer and C clamp. There is no room for the washer to slide back over the groove to put the C clamp. Why? Did the spindle move?

2CARPROS KEN

Hey Shane,

The spindle did not move, you must push the axle through from the backside. This will give you the room you need to get it back together.

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken

BLACKPIRATE
  • 1987 FORD BRONCO

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1987 Ford Bronco V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual alot miles

I have a few question if you don't mind.
1. Can I change the bearing without taking the trruck to a shop?

2. If I do one side should I do the other to keep things even?

3. Will I have to drop the front axle to get the hub off?

4. Does the bearing have to be pressed off and the the new one on?

I need help so that I can make the right moves on fixing the Black Pirate aka 1987 Ford Bronco

BLACKOP555

You can do it yourself and all you have to do is jack it up to get the wheel and hub off, you will also need a special tool to remove the hub on your model not a basic socket and breaker bar, you will need a special hub nut spanner wrench, you have to push in and turn at the same time.

When retorquing it be sure to turn the wheel constantly so the wheel bearing sits properly

4STEELERS
  • 1992 FORD BRONCO

Tires and Wheels problem
1992 Ford Bronco V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I KNOW I NEED NEW FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS FOR MY BRONCO, BUT COULD YOU TELL ME HOW TO CHANGE THEM AND WHAT TOOLS I MIGHT NEED.

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Do you have automatic or manual locking hubs?