1984 Ford Bronco Starter and solenoid

84BRONCO
  • 1984 FORD BRONCO

1984 Ford Bronco V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual 96000 miles

Im am currently work out a few bugs on my 84 bronco. Used to run fine then it wouldnt start or turn over but could push start it. I took to a mechanic said the new starter I had just put on was burned out and the solenoid as well. He said he replace about 4 solenoids on it. When crank the solenoid remain engaged but with a light tap it stops and will run. However the last time it wouldnt stop and I pull the key out and it kept running and died right there. Any ideas on what to do?

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 10:47 AM

KHLOW2008

Hi 84bronco,

Thank you for the donation.

1. Starter relay. Check if the starter relay is bad and sticking in the powered poasition.

2. Ignition switch. Check if the ignition switch is bad and not releasing from the START position even though the key has been turned off.

3. Starter gear. Ensure that the correct starter gear had been used. The wrong gear would result in the starter uverrunning clutch sticking to the flywheel ring gears and not releasing after the engine had started. This would destroy the starter within a few minutes.

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 11:24 AM
84BRONCO

Would I need to replace the solenoid to check on the solutions you gave me

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 11:50 AM
KHLOW2008

Solenoids seldom gives problems and would not stick. They would only fail to work.

Have you replaced the starter yet? If yes, the solenoid should come with it.

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 12:45 PM
84BRONCO

Solenoid does not come with the starter it mounts seperately

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 2:27 PM
KHLOW2008

In that case the solenoid should be tested as well. Those mounted outside can stick.

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 2:47 PM
84BRONCO

What do you mean by correct starter gear is that the bendix? If so, would you just check by looks or do you measure some how?

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 3:19 PM
KHLOW2008

Starters have different number of gear teeth. If the wrong one was installed, could be due to wrongly supplie, then there would be problem as different number of teeth indicates a difference in the diameter of the gear.

You need to count the number of teeth and measure the diameter.

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 3:33 PM
84BRONCO

I replaced the solenoid because when I tried to start nothing happened also replace battery cable because of corrosion and wouldn't tighted. Now when I crank it just clicked and battery cables got hot rubber even melted on partof it.

Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 10:49 PM
KHLOW2008

This indicates something is shorted. If the cables becomes hot ONLY when the ignition switch is turned to START, then the problem lies between the battery cable installation point and beyond. Recheck the starter cable installation and reconfirm the starter is good.

Sunday, August 1st, 2010 AT 3:18 AM