1993 Ford Aerostar 1993 Aerostar fuel pump problems

UMWOLVEFAN
  • 1993 FORD AEROSTAR
Checked for voltage, it's pulling 9v, checked inertia switch it's set correctly, tried different fuel relay and still only pulled 9v any suggestions if more info is needed let me know
Thursday, June 24th, 2010 AT 8:19 PM

Hi umwolvefan. Welcome to the forum. What are the symptoms or what is the problem that sent you to the pump? You're right; 9 volts is too low. Where are you grounding your voltmeter? When things don't make sense after finding low supply voltage, I have to remind myself to look at the ground circuit. Measure the voltage between the pump's ground terminal and a good clean spot on the body. If you find near 0 volts, split the supply side in half by sticking wires in the relay socket terminals so you can measure the voltage on the two contact pins while the pump is drawing current and running. If you have near full battery voltage on both pins, suspect a corroded pin in a connector going to the pump. If you find 9 volts on the relay pins, we have to work backwards toward the battery to find the 3 volt drop.

It sounds like you understand electrical theory so it shouldn't be necessary to run through all of that. Holler back with your findings.

Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 3:09 AM
UMWOLVEFAN
The reason I started to look at the pump was because the vehicle was starting and running just fine, then shut it off to go into a bldg came out and it wouldn't start. It was trying to start and it was getting a spark so I sprayed starting fluid and it started to turn over so I disconnected fuel filter and tried to start the vehicle and no fuel came thru. That was when I started to test the lines. I will double check all my connections and grounds and see what the results are thanks
-1
Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 6:26 AM