FUEL CAP WARNING LIGHT

2005 Ford 500

kw348

June, 25, 2010 AT 6:56 PM

Computer problem
2005 Ford 500 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 94000 miles

I had approximately 1/4 tank of gas in my car when the fuel cap warning light came on. I proceded to fill the tank with gas and made sure the gas cap was on correctly. The next day the warning light came on again as I started the car. I went and bought a new gas cap at autozone. The light is still coming on even though I hit the reset button on the steering wheel. Any advice is greatly apprectiated.

blackop555

June, 26, 2010 AT 8:18 PM

Your best bet is a oem gas cap from the dealership. No where else will give you the specific one for your car that will work properly. If so you got lucky.

I would check the vapor line from the tank to the charcoal canister.

Check engine light on or just gas cap light?

kw348

June, 26, 2010 AT 9:12 PM

No check engine light. I also don't want to give the wrong information this is a message on the message center saying to check the fuel cap, not actually a warning light. Sorry about that.

blackop555

June, 27, 2010 AT 10:49 AM

When the vehicle checks for fuel tank condition it pulls it into a vaccum. If the cap is wrong or loose it will throw the check gas cap code. Only way to get rid of it is to erase the evap code that is stored in the computer. Light isnt on yet because code hasnt been detected twice. Just once. Which set the gas cap reading but not a check engine light.

Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L
Fuel Filter Change
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet