Foggy windows also a thin layer of ice

KDBYERS
  • 2010 CHRYSLER 300
  • RWD
I live in Minnesota so it is minus seven degrees temperature. But I am having an issue with my windows fogging up constantly even with the defrost on blast. It will clear the windshield but the four door windows are icy. It is weird because when I am sitting, let's say pumping gas or warming up the car before driving, my windows will be clear or get clear after a drive. Once I start to take off into a drive, my windows start getting a light fog then starts to ice up. I do not smell any sweet smell and there is no wet puddle or wetness on the passenger floor. I changed out the cabin air filter yesterday and still the same thing. It is kind of dangerous to drive this way but at least I can roll my window down if I need to change lanes that is until it gets to cold they will not roll down. I have looked online and I have not found a fix yet. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks a bunch.

Ken
Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 AT 6:32 AM

STEVE W.
From your description I am thinking that the A/C drain outlet is blocked. On newer cars they run the air conditioning while in defrost mode to help prevent this exact situation. It dries the air out so you do not get ice. If the drain was blocked the moisture just backs up instead of draining out. Then when you turn the defrost on it draws the air across the water and just like air across a lake gives you snow, you get ice on the colder windows.
The drains usually look like a ruck bill at the end of a short hose. The bill keeps the hose shut against bugs and dirt while allowing water to drain. It will be located low on the outside of the heater/AC housing under the hood. Squeeze it to open the bill and use something to poke inside to clean it out.
Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 AT 7:09 AM
KDBYERS
Okay Steve, I am at work right now, but I will definitely give this a shot this evening and see how things go. Thank you for your expertise and I will get back to you after I see the outcome.
Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 AT 9:50 AM
At minus seven degree, you may need to throw the ole hair dryer in that same area as it might not have been stopped up, the water just behind it might be frozen.

This drain might also show coolant also, another sign of a leaking heater core.

Gosh! I hope you have a warm garage to work in.

Here is another way to do it if plan A does not work.

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/2009-buick-la-crosse-clogged-drain

Hey STEVE W. I kind of had to bump into you somewhere! Keep it up! Jump on any post I am on with good information, I welcome any help I can get, so does the asker.

Waiting on good news here.

The Medic
Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 AT 12:40 PM