DOESNT HAVE POWER ON FIRST GEAR

2000 Ford Expedition

rholando

April, 17, 2013 AT 3:14 AM

I just had my expedition serviced for change oil and an engine wash, after taking it home and filling up it with gas, it suddenly lost power, when I step on the gas it doesn't accelerate like it was choking it only resume its normal rev when I release the gas pedal. The mechanic told me to replace the fuel pump he said it doesn't give enough gas. The car right now doesn't have a problem starting its only when I drive the car in first gear or accelerate that the rpm goes up and down.

I replaced the fuel filter and it was really dirty, cleaned the air filter and just a while ago changed all the spark plug and they are all worn out. The car still shows problem accelerating from time to time when ever I step on the gas and sometime it would accelerate but the climbing up slope coming from the first gear it feels like the engine wants to die out but it would gain control again when you release the gas pedal so there's no power at all.

also it has some vibrating sound now after everything done. Should I change the fuel pump now as earlier advised?

mhpautos

April, 17, 2013 AT 4:38 AM

You should at least get the fuel pressure tested, if it is with in range it will not be the problem, I would star with a scan to see what if any codes are set, not all codes will set a check light, start with this and the pressure test.

rholando

April, 17, 2013 AT 5:25 AM

I'll do that first thing tomorrow, anything I should know about after the fuel pressure test? Like worst scenario if the pressure fails and if it not? Thanks.

mhpautos

April, 18, 2013 AT 3:37 AM

I would like to know what the idle pressure is and what it is at 2000rpm and if it drops off after the engine is shut down.

rholando

April, 20, 2013 AT 8:53 AM

I know its unbelievable but all the mechanic shops I've been to doesn't have a fuel pressure gauge. But ill still keep on looking. Anyhow just to update my troubleshooting with the expedition, I had a check engine recently I think it was my fault, I unplugged the heat sensor while the engine is running then plug it back in and poof check engine showed up so I brought it near a service station that has a auto scanner and it was the ATI showing problem so they replaced it. And I told them the problem im having with the engine. They did I think an overhaul with the throttle part and flushed out the grease like oil in the throttle area and out in the exhaust, but there is still hickup like and hesitation with the acceleration the mechanic told me it could be with the pcv now. I took the vehicle home before they start replacing the engine. So my problem would still be the acceleration, sometimes it would engaged sometimes it wont, I still here occasionally pop sound under the hood when I step on the gas half way down, another mechanic is saying it could be the air sensor, im checking if I could clean it myself or just get a new one. I'm close to replacing everything now except the fuel pump. Right now the engine rpm keeps on fluctuating but the engine doesn't die out. Just no power to accelerate.

rholando

April, 20, 2013 AT 8:57 AM

Sorry IAT and PCV valves

mhpautos

April, 20, 2013 AT 4:09 PM

Have they been using a quality scanner, this is starting to sound like an air flow meter problem or a TPI, I think you need to get a read with live data on a quality scanner, and go to a work shop that has the correct tooling to do the job, I can't do much from here with out accurate info and if mechanics there do not have a simple tool like a fuel pressure gauge, you better start looking elsewhere for a mechanic.

rholando

April, 27, 2013 AT 9:19 AM

After parts and parts I think they nailed the problem and it was the fuel pump problem though I still have some doubts, the mechanic replaced the motor only not the whole assembly at first it didn't start right it was still having hesitant in acceleration so I was ready to put the car on fire. My fuel was running empty so I have to fill her up and had the battery tightened and it just started to drive smoothly. Do you think a bad fuel might have been the problem? Or was it I have to reset the computer when I disconnected the batter to have it tightened? Anyway right now its back to normal although I see some changes like is it normal the see the RPM rev high when I shift the gear from drive to neutral?

Thanks again.

mhpautos

April, 27, 2013 AT 4:19 PM

OK thanks for the feed back.

rholando

May, 5, 2013 AT 9:40 AM

Hi mhpautos,

Thanks for assisting me troubleshooting my expi, I jsut have a quick question, prior to the replacement of the fuel motor, I saw the fuel sensor broken and was dangling at the side the the fuel assembly, I wanted to know what the fuel sensor was for. It was broken on the attachment from the top of the fuel assembly. So it wasn't in place but the mechanic just glued it back on. Did that possibly helped my fuel pump to work again?

mhpautos

May, 6, 2013 AT 4:10 AM

I will have to look at one to see what it is for, it may just be a fuel temp sensor, if so this would not affect the pump operation.

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma