ECT sensors location

JACQUELINE CELESTINE
  • 2007 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Can someone tell me exactly where ECT sensor is located on the vehicle? A color pictures would help or a video showing exactly what to do. Thanks.
Sunday, October 14th, 2018 AT 9:46 PM

Temperature sensors have an extremely low failure rate because there is just one part inside them. What kind of problem are you trying to solve?
Sunday, October 14th, 2018 AT 11:27 PM
JACQUELINE CELESTINE
I took the vehicle in too dealership because it kept shutting off. They put it on diagnostic machine and the code it through out. And check engine light is on. I am not good with diagram. I really want to know exactly where it is at on the vehicle. I thought it was behind alternator but I did not see it there.
Monday, October 15th, 2018 AT 7:58 AM
First you need to list the exact diagnostic fault code number. There are multiple codes for temperature sensors, and they mean very different things.

Also be aware that fault codes never ever say to replace a part or that one is bad. They only indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis, or the unacceptable operating condition. When a part is referenced in a fault code, it is actually the cause of that code about half of the time. Before we waste your money on a part, we have to rule out wiring and connector terminal problems, and mechanical problems related to that part.

The coolant temperature sensor is number three on the drawing. It sits just under the valve cover, and just above the exhaust manifold. The arrow at the top left is pointing toward the front of the vehicle, so this view should be as though you were standing just behind the passenger-side front wheel. The sensor will be at the rear of the engine, on the passenger side.
Monday, October 15th, 2018 AT 8:06 PM
JACQUELINE CELESTINE
Thank you so much.
Monday, October 15th, 2018 AT 9:43 PM
KEN
Use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, October 18th, 2018 AT 7:17 PM
JACQUELINE CELESTINE
I sure will.
Thursday, October 18th, 2018 AT 8:32 PM
ROE12
  • 2004 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Locate temp sensor on motor
Friday, October 19th, 2018 AT 11:19 AM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Engine coolant temp. (ECT) sensor is on left front of engine block, near the alternator.
+1
EDUALAV
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Hoe yo install coolant temperature sensor
ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE (ECT) SENSOR REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
NOTE: Use care when handling the coolant sensor. Damage to the coolant sensor will affect the operation of the fuel control system.

1. Turn the engine OFF.
2. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.
3. Drain coolant below the level of the ECT sensor. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (Body Vin Code 6)Draining and Filling Cooling System (Body Vin Code 3) in Cooling System.
4. Disconnect the ECT sensor electrical connector (1).
5. Remove the drive belt and the generator.
6. Carefully remove the ECT sensor (1).

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE
NOTE:
*Use care when handling the coolant sensor. Damage to the coolant sensor will affect the operation of the fuel control system.
*Replacement components must be the correct part number for the application. Components requiring the use of the thread locking compound, lubricants, corrosion inhibitors, or sealants are identified in the service procedure. Some replacement components may come with these coatings already applied. Do not use these coatings on components unless specified. These coatings can affect the final torque, which may affect the operation of the component. Use the correct torque specification when installing components in order to avoid damage.
1. If installing the original sensor or a new sensor without sealant, apply thread sealer P/N 12346004 or equivalent.
2. Install the ECT sensor. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten Tighten the ECT sensor to 16 N.M (12 lb ft).
3. Connect the ECT electrical connector (1).
4. Install the generator and the drive belt.
5. Connect the negative battery terminal.
6. Refill the engine coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (Body Vin Code 6)Draining and Filling Cooling System (Body Vin Code 3) in Cooling System.
JASONN
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Where and how to change a coolent temp. Sensor on my 03 trailblazer.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_ect_14.jpg

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1.Turn the engine OFF.
2.Disconnect the negative battery terminal. CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.
3.Drain coolant below the level of the ECT sensor. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (Body Vin Code 6)Draining and Filling Cooling System (Body Vin Code 3) in Cooling System.
4.Disconnect the ECT sensor electrical connector (1).
5.Remove the drive belt and the generator.
6.Carefully remove the ECT sensor (1).

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE
NOTE:
1.If installing the original sensor or a new sensor without sealant, apply thread sealer P/N 12346004 or equivalent.
2.Install the ECT sensor. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten Tighten the ECT sensor to 16 N.m (12 lb ft) .
3.Connect the ECT electrical connector (1).
4.Install the generator and the drive belt.
5.Connect the negative battery terminal.
6.Refill the engine coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (Body Vin Code 6)Draining and Filling Cooling System (Body Vin Code 3) in Cooling System.

+1
KEMA30
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
My engine check light is on, and I took it to get a diagnostic test and they said the coolant sensor is defective. Where on my vehichle is this sensor located?
DENNYP

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_coolant_1.jpg

(1) Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor
(2) Engine Harness
(3) PCM C1
(4) PCM C2
(5) Powertrain Control Module (PCM) C3
DENNYP
Number 1 shows the connector for the sensor. You will find the sensor mounts to the engine just behind the alternator.
+1