Oil droplets in reservoir

SPOOKYCC
  • 2001 FORD MUSTANG
  • RWD
Oil droplets small amount in reservoir. Mechanic does not want me to spend money on tracking down internal leak. New head gasket and cylinders machined two years ago. No head gasket symptoms. Runs fine, does not overheat.

I want to use Bars coolant system fix. It says to put in radiator if possible. If my radiator is full should I drain some and then add the coolant fix product? Or put it in the overflow reservoir? I never use leak stops as a rule but we are just trying to get as many miles as we can before I replace the car.

Thanks so much!

Colleen
Sunday, June 11th, 2017 AT 6:31 PM

HEYMAN1104
As a general rule I stay away from putting stop leak in a cooling system. As its job is to plug up little holes, what it often ends up doing is plugging up the little passages through the radiator, making it easier for your car to overheat, and still leak anyways. If you are going to use it though, I would suggest letting a little coolant out by either opening the drain cock on the bottom of the radiator tank (passenger side) or by taking off the lower hose for a few seconds and then putting it back on, then put the stuff in. I know several people who swear by Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealant. https://www.amazon.com/BlueDevil-Head-Gasket-Sealer-ounce/dp/B000NOO798.
I kind of doubt that it actually works, but could be worth a shot.
Sunday, June 11th, 2017 AT 6:56 PM
STEVE W.
Blue Devil works but only for true head gasket leaks. In this case oil getting into the coolant I would not use it. Why? Because it is the same chemical that was used during the cash for clunkers fiasco. Water glass aka sodium silicate, If it gets into the oiling system it will destroy the engine in a very, very short time and it will not be repairable.

I would suspect that it is a front cover leak and not top end as there are no pressurized oil passages through the head gaskets, just drain back ports.
Unless this is a supercharged engine, those have an engine oil cooler in the radiator that could leak.
Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 7:24 PM
HEYMAN1104
Hmmm, I guess it is true that you learn something new every day. Thanks for that Steve!
Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 7:32 PM