2004 Dodge Truck starts hard

DAVID9091
  • 2004 DODGE TRUCK
  • 100 MILES
I have several of these trucks and 2 out of 5 start hard have to crank them longer then the others and some times have to give them a shot of either to get it running and they both crank fine and once started run great so it seems it maybe electrical mechicanel but I have no idea where to start pleas help thanks so much

Dave

P.S. Also I have herd that you can program features of the truck by the buttons in the middle on the head linner where the tempature is showing?
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 7:12 PM

MADMIKE1735
What engine size are in these? Also, what are we looking at for mileage? They crank easy, and fast on some, or are some just longer-slower cranking before starting like the beginning of a starter going bad? Also, when was the last time fuel filters, tunes have been done? Trying to narrow it down here.
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 7:16 PM
DAVID9091
Yes well its a 5.7 Dodge Cummins desiel and we replaced the fuel filter and air filter on both of them and the milage on one truck is 100, ooo and the other one is 60, ooo have not had any major work done to either one yet these engines are great most the time they keep on running like a good watch
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 8:57 PM
DAVID9091
Yes they crank as fast as the other 3 pick ups forgot to ancer this before sorry
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 8:59 PM
DAVID9091
Is there a start circut and a run circut on there as far as the fuel is handeled like a electris valve or regulater I ask this cus as soon as it starts it runs great
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 9:08 PM
MADMIKE1735
Being diesel, it may be a glow plug issue. Im sure u wait for the light to turn off before starting, and u said once they fire up they run great. Thats pointing me towards glowplugs.
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 9:26 PM
DAVID9091
Yes you can hear the relay kick out when they go off and the light on the dash goes out also but thats true it dosnt mean there working we will check that out my next question would be how do you check a glow plug?
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 9:37 PM
MADMIKE1735
" Pull the electrical connector wires off to expose access to the glow plugs. Remove one plug at a time by placing the socket over the top of the glow plug and turn it counterclockwise to remove.

" 2
Clean the threads of the glow plug with solvent and a rag.

" 3
Set your voltmeter to Ohms and touch the electrodes of the voltmeter to the glow plug.

" 4
Check to see what the resistance is of the glow plug. If you do not have an auto-ranging meter, try other resistance setting to verify you measurement. If the meter reads an open or infinity measurement (on Fluke meters, it will read OL), then the plug is defective. If the glow plug shows resistance that is approximately less than 5 Ohms, then the plug is not defective.

" 5
Repeat Steps 1 through 4 for each glow plug.
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 9:42 PM