1998 Dodge Stratus Car starts very slowly and only when ACC

MMARTINE1
  • 1998 DODGE STRATUS
Each morning my car won't start. All of my lights come on. Headlights don't seem to dim when the key is turned to the crank position. If I keep my ignition cranked and press all the way down on my accelerator the car starts eventually. It starts very slowly. I usually will keep the ignition cranked for about 20 seconds at a time with the gas pedal all of the way down and then turn the key to off for a few seconds. The first few times I'll hear nothing, but then after a few of these cycles the car will slowly start to turn over. After about 6 or so of these cycles the car starts up and I have no other driving issues. When I leave work after 8 hours the car starts up relatively fine, but after having it sit overnight for about 12 hours the problem starts again. I'd like to go to my mechanic with an idea of what he should be looking at.
Monday, June 15th, 2009 AT 10:19 AM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
Would have starter draw test and battery load test done. Also make sure battery terminals are clean and tight.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate
Monday, June 15th, 2009 AT 3:10 PM
MMARTINE1
Thanks for the quick response. Do you think it's significant that the car starts up if it sits for only 8 hours or so, but doesn't want to start after sitting overnight?
Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 1:08 PM
DOCFIXIT
I try not to think about machinery but tests will tell whagt's up
Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 1:14 PM