1997 Dodge Stratus engine misfire

WHATLEY4647
  • 1997 DODGE STRATUS
I have a 1997 stratus 2.4l auto od. My problem is the motor will start running rough and backfiring at any given time. It has 2 fault codes po352 coil primary circuit b and p1391 cam and crank sensors not insync. I have installed everything new coil, plugs, wires and cam and crank sensors.I have checked the engine wiring harness, nothing has worked. One thing that seems to work [this will sound strange]is that when I turn on the ac it will smooth out. It appears that when it will start acting up, the check engine lite will start acting up, flashing off and on, not like setting a fault cde but acting like it is shorting out. Have you heard of this kind of a problem before and if so any solution?
Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 AT 5:12 PM

I need you to check the idle air control valve. It is on the throttle body. Remove it and see if the valve is free and working.

Let me know what you find.
Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 AT 7:50 PM
WHATLEY4647
Hi joe, checked iac, seems to be fine, changes steps with change in air/fuel mixture and rpms
Thursday, October 14th, 2010 AT 6:48 PM
Okay, that is one item we can eliminate. Have you checked the EGR to make sure it isn't sticking or plugged? Also, any vacuum leaks?
Friday, October 15th, 2010 AT 7:10 AM
WHATLEY4647
Hi joe, I have checked all of the basic ! No vacuum leaks, checked cam timing, checked tension on timing belt, checked all sensors values. Everything has checked out good!Checked fuel pressure, checked compression. The only thing I 've found is when I have my scanner, snap-on solus, hooked up, I notice computer is loosing cam and crank sync, most of the time this is an indication of timing belt/ cam timing problem but again I have checked out timing belt and cam timing. Once again all good! A little about my history, I have worked for a five star cpdj dealer for 15 years and i'am a gold level A tech but this the first time that I have been stumped!
Sunday, October 17th, 2010 AT 12:03 PM
That helps knowing who I'm talking with. Often times I have to explaine what an oil cap is or how to open a hood (lol).

Between the two of us, we should be able to figure this out. I feel the two codes you have are tied together. Have you checked both sensors as well as the coil? (You may have already mentioned it, but I don't remember reading it.) The other thing I'm thinking is wiring to them.
Sunday, October 17th, 2010 AT 8:49 PM
WHATLEY4647
Yea, checked sensors, coil, pcm, removed wiring harness checked for shorts, opens and melted wiring. Everything checked out okay. I 'am not a parts changer but in this case I tried new sensors and pcm. Nothing seems to make a difference
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 8:17 AM
The only thing left is the PCM. WHat do you think?
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 8:23 AM
WHATLEY4647
Already tried another pcm. Same symptoms.
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 8:42 PM
You've done it all. Since there is a backfire, have you checked to make sure there isn't a burnt valve?

Bear with me, at this point, I'm trying to think of anything that could cause the problem.
Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 AT 1:46 PM
WHATLEY4647
Compression good across the board!I just ordered a new wiring harness, maybe i'll find the answer there!
Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 AT 3:57 PM
Let me know what you find. You could have a bad wire in there.
Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 7:19 AM