2001 DODGE STRATUS NOT STARTING

• ed.sessions
  • 2001 Dodge Stratus

2001 Dodge Stratus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive 125000 miles

I can't get car to started. I was charging the battery on my van. There was no load from the van(I wasn't trying to start van or anything)I heard a sound which came from the area of the alternator so I took the jumper cables off and a few seconds later the engine shut off and wouldn't start again.

Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 AT 8:53 PM

• JDL

Does the vehicle crank ok? If your security system has been affected, it may take a manufacturer scanner to correct? Any applicable trouble codes? We can check for basics like fuel and spark?

Thursday, October 14th, 2010 AT 12:18 PM
  • ed.sessions

The car cranks and sometime seems as though it is going to start but does not. It has a coil on each plug I pulled out plug and connected to coil and grounded the plug but did not get a spark. THE CAR HAS ABOUT 125000 ON IT AND HAS NEVER HAD THE TIMING BELT CHANGED COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM?

Thursday, October 14th, 2010 AT 12:33 PM
  • JDL

Engine cranking, do you have primary voltage at the coil, dark green wire with lite green tracer. If no voltage that comes from the asd relay. The asd relay also supplies voltage to the injectors, possibly 02 heater circuits and maybe other.

Check for voltage at the fuses in the diagram, use voltage tester. It is possible the computer isn't grounding the relay for some reason, that is why a troublecode, if there are any, might come in handy. A couple of those fuses won't be hot unless the relay is energized.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_stratus_ignition_coil_1.jpg

Thursday, October 14th, 2010 AT 1:18 PM
  • ed.sessions

Thanks for info ! I am unable to check @ this time but tonight when I get off work I will test and get back to you. Thanks so much and may God bless'
Ed

Thursday, October 14th, 2010 AT 1:58 PM
  • ed.sessions

I can't read the wiring diagram that you sent. I tried to enlarge it but it was to blurry.I ordered a manual for the car so I can see the diagram better.I am going to put a timing belt on car after I get the manual because it has 125000 on it and has never been changed.I was told that it should have been done around 70000. If you have any suggestions I would be glad to here them. Thanks for the direction on the wiring diagram and when I get the manual I am going to investigate it further.I will let you know the out come thanks again for the help.
Ed

Friday, October 15th, 2010 AT 4:50 PM
  • JDL

I enlarged part of it. The fuses on the right won't be hot, unless the relay is energized.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_dodge_stratus_asd_relay_1.jpg

Friday, October 15th, 2010 AT 5:36 PM
  • ed.sessions

I have check all the fuses are good I have voltage on the coils when I first turn ignition switch on and then it goes away. To save time I am going to print what I have saved on my computer of what my assessment is of my situation and you tell me where I am going wrong. Thanks Ed
My wife has a 2001 Dodge Stratus. It has 125000 miles on it and the timing belt has never been changed.I believe it is an interference motor.I was trying to jump my van with the car it made a funny noise @ the front of the motor. Within seconds I disconnected the jumper cables within 5 seconds after that it shut off and would not restart.I pulled a plug out and attached it to the coil (each cyl. Has a coil) I did not have spark so I figured I might have jumped time. If it did jump time does this mean my valves or piston is messed up or is it possible that it didn't go out of time far enough to do damage?

Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 AT 7:20 PM
  • ed.sessions

I did a self diagnostic test, by turning key on and off three times and light flashes 5 times nothing else. Does this mean anything?

Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 AT 8:17 PM
  • JDL

What is the litre size of engine? The 3.0 does show to be an interference engine. I don't know if you have damaged anything? I'd have to look.

I thought to check for codes, at the least, you needed an obd2 code reader? My database doesn't show an mil method.

Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 9:32 AM
  • ed.sessions

The engine is a 2.7

Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 9:42 AM