Fan clutch removal

JHOLMBERG
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
I have a 2005 Ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8 and only 67,000 miles on it. Engine temp is right where it needs to be until I am stopped in traffic or at a light at which point the temperature starts creeping up. If I put the truck in nuetral and rev the engine a bit, the temperature starts coming back down. I have replaced the fan clutch and the thermostat as well as flushed the radiator and the problem still persists. The water pump is less than a year old so I don't think that is the issue. I am fairly certain it is not a head gasket issue since I changed my oil and found no trace of coolant in the oil. What could be going on with my truck?
Monday, February 22nd, 2010 AT 1:30 PM

Dandy observation that increasing engine speed brings the temperature down. Be sure the shroud is in place behind the radiator and there are no places air can bypass the radiator.

Here is how you can remove the fan clutch

https://youtu.be/N_-MLVlBHk8

A leaking head gasket doesn't always pump coolant into the oil. It can push combustion gases into the coolant. There's a tester for that. It is a glass tube with two chambers of dark blue liquid. Your mechanic will hold it over the radiator neck and draw air through it. If combustion gases are getting into the coolant, the liquid will turn bright yellow.

If you are brave, when the engine is cold, you can test the thermostatic fan clutch by holding onto the blade when a helper starts the engine. It will tug a little but you won't have any trouble holding it from spinning. As the engine warms up, you should feel it start to tug harder and harder. I've seen this done, but I'm chicken. In the rare event the clutch would seize up, it could be catastrophic. I'm rather emotionally-involved with my fingers. I use a piece of light rope to hold the blade. Don't use wire such as a coat hanger. If you let go, it could tear up the radiator and hoses.

As an alternative, you should hear the fan become quieter as the clutch slips less when it warms up.

Did you install a 195 degree thermostat? A 180 degree unit can cause problems by not allowing the coolant to stay in the radiator long enough to cool down. This doesn't exactly fit your symptoms, but it's worth mentioning.

You might consider buying a scanner that will allow you to read the sensor values the engine computer sees. The computer and temperature gauge use different sensors. Unlike Fords, Chryslers have very little trouble with coolant sensors, but it wouldn't hurt to check the gauge sending unit against the computer's.

caradiodoc
Friday, February 26th, 2010 AT 4:57 PM
GCERNASATX
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
Changed out water pump and drove truck and overheated. Changed out fan clutch and still overheated, is now running without thermostat and engine makes a rough sound when vechile takes off.
Monday, May 11th, 2020 AT 1:23 PM (Merged)
WRENCHER1
You NEVER want to run a modern vehicle without a thermostat. That will create a whole new set of problems with the computer and fuel mixture.
Since you started with a leaking water pump, there is a very good chance that you overheated the engine to the point of blowing the head gasket causing hot exhaust gases to get into the cooling system.
TLILANGELS5
  • 2004 DODGE RAM
Engine Cooling problem
2004 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

can you please tell me how to remove the clutch fan from the water pump
OBXAUTOMEDIC

I believe the fan clutch is a bolt on so you will need a special service tool to remove it. Here is what it looks like, you will just need to make sure the kit is for a dodge.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_24947_4.jpg

RAMER123
  • 2004 DODGE RAM
Replace new fan, now its really loud (roar) at start and when completely stop.
It may be your old fan clutch was bad all along or type of fan clutch.
RAMER123
Fan clutch I means sorry
This may get quieter as it used more. It may be the type of oil in it or something along that line as well.
PASTORROB7
  • 2004 DODGE RAM
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7L engine. Just purchased one month ago. After a long drive (220 miles) I shut vehicle off for about 15 minutes. When I started again, I had a lot of "squeal" from the front of engine. I assumed it was a belt/tensioner issue. I got it home, took it to dealer, etc. The squeal went away, but was replaced by excessive noise from the fan. After checking it out, Dealer said it was likely the belt and/or the fan clutch. Had both replaced today. Fan noise still seems to be excessive. Is there another possible explanation?
When the clutch fan is engaged, it is noisy, but doesn't make a squeaking shound but rather more of a whooshing sound.
BILL WHIFFEN
  • DODGE RAM
Ram 2500 diesel, 2001 approx. 280,000 mi. How do I remove the old fan clutch to replace with a new one?
Monday, May 11th, 2020 AT 1:24 PM (Merged)
DIPWEED23
Take the bolts out that hold it to the water pump pulley. Take out the bolts that hold the fan onto the clutch.
Put the fan and the new clutch together and install the bolts. Put the clutch and fan back onto the water pump pulley. Don't lose bolts.

If yours is not this straight forward, or if it has a spacer, you may need a special tool to hold the clutch to transfer the spacer.

See the enclosed warnings with the clutch. Some can be damaged by turning them in a certian direction which will allow the oil to spill out of them (but I think newer ones are idiot and shipping proof).
CAWILLIS
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
2003 Dodge Ram 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

how do you replace the fan clutch
You need to hold the waterpump pulley still and loosten the fan clutch. They make a special too to do it. Most parts stores will rent or lend them to you.

Sponsored links