2004 Dodge Ram Whinnig Noise in rear end of truck

OILCREEK
  • 2004 DODGE RAM
We have been getting a whinning noise in the rear of the truck. It starts at about 35 mph and lessens at 60 mph. It sounds like the whine of a siren. We took it to a mechanic and he suggested it was the pinion bearing though he wasn't sure. Any suggestions?
Monday, May 18th, 2009 AT 9:15 AM

It could be the pinion bearing or even an axle bearing. Was the differential ever serviced?
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 AT 1:41 PM
OILCREEK
I don't believe the differential was ever serviced. I will have to tell the mechanic to check the axle bearing. The truck is at the mechanics today.

I do know there are some sort of pins in the pinion bearing area that were broke. The mechanic fixed them hoping that it would fix the whine noise. It didn't, so he was thinking about replacing the main pinion bearing.

I will let you know what I find out!

Thanks!
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 AT 1:53 PM
Chances are that is the problem. Let me know what you find.

Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 AT 6:09 PM
OILCREEK
The pinion bearing was replaced and the truck still makes the same whinning noise. It still starts at about 35 mph, and stops at about 60 mph. It seems that it is only happening when we are pressing on the accelerator. So we are still confused! The mechanic was almost positive it was the pinion bearing when he removed it as it was all pitted. It wasn't though! Any other suggestions?
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 7:08 AM
Are you sure the noise is coming from the differential and not the transfer case? The transfer case is in about the middle of the truck and I have seen the output bearing go bad on them and make that type of noise.
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 1:21 PM
OILCREEK
I am not sure truthfully. I just know it is behind me when driving. Could be near the middle of the truck. I will call the mechanic and let him know.

I will keep you updated.

Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 1:26 PM
SEANR
I have the exact same problem with the exact same truck. All the symptoms are identical
Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 10:27 AM
The best thing I can recommend is this. Take the vehicle to a shop and they will have to put it on a rack, start the engine, put it in gear, and then have them listen to where the noise is coming from. It is hard to tell for sure without being there.

Let me know what you find,

Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 9:38 PM