2005 DODGE RAM LIMITED SLIP KEEPS ENGAGINIG BACK WHEELS

• Ajunlimited
  • 2005 DODGE RAM

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2005 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 184000 miles

I have a 1500 dodge ram big horn 4 wheel drive. The limited slip (or posi) keeps engaging and disengaging (whith a loud pop like I drove over a loose man hole when it disengages) at low ideal speeds when I turn. It recently had the (i cant remember what it was named) seal on the front of the rear differential where the yoke goes in replaced with a metalic color to the gear oil when it was cleaned out and replaced. The mechanic said there was no apparent damage but it did concern him and said that I may or may not have problems with it in the future. Have you heard of such a noise and action? What should I be looking for to repair this?

Saturday, October 9th, 2010 AT 5:40 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Honestly, the pinion seal shouldn't have caused anything like this. Did they replace the gear lube and install a limited slip additive?

Sunday, October 10th, 2010 AT 10:54 PM
  • Ajunlimited

I was out of town in Kentucky when I had the shop fix it. I live in Boise, Idaho. I am not sure about the limited slip additive, but they did replace the gear lube. It was also months (about 4) before this problem started. Should I drop the pumpkin and redo or give it all fresh lube and limited slip additive to see if that does anything?

Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 2:41 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

I would try to service it with the proper additive before going into a major repair.

Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 11:09 AM