WHY DOES FLUID LEAK NEAR REAR AXLE ONLY WHEN SHIFTING IN AND OUT OF FOUR WHEEL DRIVE?

1999 Dodge Ram

jihughes79

September, 26, 2012 AT 9:45 PM

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.2L V8. I just found out that fluid is leaking near the rear axle but only when I shift in and out of four wheel drive. What could cause this?

hmac300

September, 26, 2012 AT 9:56 PM

It cold be teh driveshaft is moving to much due to worn parts in axle that are just now starting to expose themselves or it cold be a seal going bad. You have to find out wher ethe leak is coming from, the axle itself or something else.

jihughes79

September, 27, 2012 AT 12:50 PM

Thank you. I just don't understand why it would only do it in four wheel drive and not all the time since the rear axle is always engaged. I could understand if it was coming from the front axle. Any further explanation you could provide for my understanding would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all your help and guidance.

hmac300

September, 27, 2012 AT 1:04 PM

You really need to find out if it's actually coming from the axle or soemthing else. It may be a coincidence as well with the mileage on the truck it may have started leaking and you only noticed it when you put it in 4 wheel drive.

Axle Seal Replacement
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Differential Fluid Change Ford F250
Differential Fluid Service - Front
Differential Fluid Drain/Refill
Differential Fluid Level Check