2004 Dodge Ram truck not idling

OOLDMAN
  • 2004 DODGE RAM
I have a 04 ram 1500 5.7L. My truck won't start unless I press the gas pedal and hold the pedal down. Once I let off the gas it shuts off. The engine shakes when it runs. The check engine light tells me that the O2 sensors are not reading right I replaced those. EGR valve is fine. I cleaned the throttle body. The truck will start if I remove the O2 sensors and will idle but RPM goes up and down. The exhast smells really lean to. I can hear the fuel pump start up.
Thursday, September 10th, 2009 AT 12:21 PM

IMPALASS
Hello -

I would suggest taking a fuel pressure check to see what the output is. You may hear it but it may not be putting out enough pressure.
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 12:33 AM
OOLDMAN
There is pretty good fuel pressure I checked the spark plugs and they are black from running lean I checked all the plugs and there is no sign of a leak all are black. I was told that it may be the Cat converter may be clogged? I really don't live closest enough to a town to check the back pressure. Is there a way I can test that out.
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 10:21 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

For an accurate reading of pressure you need to take the fuel pressure.

The fuel pressure for that big 5.7L (thanks for giving all the info by the way, not just Ram Truck) has to be 56-60 psi (386-414 kPa). You may think it is coming out good. But that doesn't mean it is giving the volume that engine is needing.

Other than disconnecting the pipes prior to the CATs I don't know of a way.

Let me check with another moderator - they will be getting with you.
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 11:03 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Oh one other thing. Please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and use their tool check out program and get the code scanner. Check your codes, if you find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that.
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 11:04 PM
The exhast smells really lean to and There is pretty good fuel pressure I checked the spark plugs and they are black from running lean I checked all the plugs and there is no sign of a leak all are black.

Sparkplugs that has a black dry soot on it is running rich instead of lean or a weak ignition

You can check the Cat by using a vacuum gauge or pressure gauge or disconnecting the exhaust pipe on the exhaust manifold or before the Cat.

I recommend you actually check the fuel pressure with a gauge as suggested earlier and the IAC motor, MAP and TPS sensors
Sunday, September 13th, 2009 AT 11:20 AM