2003 Dodge Ram Low Idleing and trys to stall sometimes!

HARLEY1990
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 I have replaced the cam sensor, crankshatf sensor, throttle position sensor, the batterey, pcv valve, Idle air valve, power steering valve so the dealer said was wrong with the truck! And replaced mass air sensor, new plugs, and new air filter!
So what the truck is doing is that at times it drops in idle, and acts like it going to stall! The only thing I can think of is the fuel pump because the small lip in the filler tube that open when u put the gas nozzle in to add fuel had broke off, and went into the tank! Im not sure if it has began to disolve or what Im lost at figureing out the main problem. It does run just fine, and no codes show up! Just now then it will act up, and is nerv racking.
Thanks for your time
Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 6:41 PM

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Also, have you checked to make sure the EGR valve is clean and working properly? As far as the tab, it is resistant to fuel so don't worry about that. Also, is (by itself) wouldn't stop fuel from making its way through the pump. Have you replaced the fuel filter? It is a pain because you have to remove the tank. Here is a picture of it.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_fill_1.jpg

Let me know.

Sunday, April 18th, 2010 AT 10:27 PM
HARLEY1990
Hey Joe thanks for the reply! I did a fuel system check, and the pressure was fine! I have checked for vaume leaks three time, and used a mist of water while it was running, and that was ok. As for the Egr Valve goes I have not got to it yet cause my truck dont seem to have one at least that what the repair manual says! I have been thinking about droping the tank, and check the filter, but if the pressure is good I thought that would not be the problem. The only thing I havent changed was the MAP Sensor, or the coils! But will try to look for the EGR valve again, and try that, and go ahead with the fuel filter. Again thanks for you time!
Monday, April 19th, 2010 AT 2:43 PM
According to my info, there is one. However the only thing I could find is the wiring harness to it. Here is a picture of that at least.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_aaa_2.jpg

I don't know if it will help, but it may give you an idea as to what you are looking for.

Let me know what you find.

Monday, April 19th, 2010 AT 8:46 PM
HARLEY1990
Ok I have looked up a Egr Valve for my truck at advance auto, and O'rilleys auto parts, and even at dodge, and cant find one. Lol I cant even find the wires to it! Could it be called something else than Egr? I know what the word egr stands for but maybe dodge calls it something else. Im still looking for it, and looking on sites as to where it is. Some say its under the altinator, and some say its its on the driver side at back of motor? At least I know my engine now. Lol been all over that silly thing. I will keep looking, and if you know of anything else let me know thanks. Oh yeah its a 03 Ram 1500 4.7 liter 2 wheel drive automatic if that will help any more.
Thanks man
Tuesday, April 20th, 2010 AT 3:12 AM
That is what I looked up. Interesting that I couldn't find the part either but only the wiring. If it has one, it will be on the intake. Let me know.
Tuesday, April 20th, 2010 AT 7:20 AM
HARLEY1990
Hey Joe I looked all over the engine for the egr valve and even called the dealer! They told me that some of the rams have a egr valve and some dont! I did change the fuel filter or I should say the the pump and filter all one unit. The only other thing I can think it might be is one of the coils! I put a Map sensor on it also, and all that I have replaced it still acts up so the only thing left is the coils I hope that takes care of it. Or maybe the Evap heck I dont know. Lol Im about to go crazy.
Thanks for your time
Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 AT 5:27 PM
I would say you have exhausted everything other than a coil. Let me know what you find. If you have luck like I do, it will end up being a vacuum leak. As far as the evap system, I don't think it would cause this type of problem.

Let me know how it goes.

Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 AT 10:33 PM
HARLEY1990
Ok Joe I have went over ever inch of this motor, and all the vac lines I could find, and check every inch of them with it idleing, and spraying water to see if it idles up, and it does not. Lol I even took off the crankscase breathers, and cleaned them, but they are fine! I dont know what elase it could be, and if there was a vac leak when it acts up the rpms would go up right? But its just acts like its going to die at the low idle, and just just keep pumping the pedle to keep it going, and I know the fuel pump, and filters are fine. Lol Just about ready to blow it up. Think it could be the main computer on it? It still gives a code if there is one, but there are no codes when the engine acts up like it does. I will keep trying things, and let ya know, and if you can think of anything let me know.
Thanks man have a good weekend!
Friday, April 30th, 2010 AT 6:41 PM
Wow! Where do we go from here? Have you checked the idle air control valve? Throttle position sensor?
Saturday, May 1st, 2010 AT 1:08 PM
HARLEY1990
Yeah well since I have replaced all I can think of includeing the fuel pump, and temp sensor, and put new coils on it still wants to idle down, and try to stall! There is no vacuum leaks, no EGR valve! All I have replaced is at the top of the page, and Im lost at what else it could be doing this! All fuel injectors are working fine the timeing is fine, I guess I should just pull the motor, and rebuild it since I have gone this far with it. Lol only has 45000 on it for a 2003, and haveing this issue? I did remember something the other day! Before this was going on it would want to idle up, and you would have to hold the break to keep it from moving when at a stop! But now its just, idleing down at times and acts like its going to stall. I hope maybe there is someone with the answer for this problem, cause im fed up, and dont know what it is that is doing this.
Thanks for ur time
+2
Saturday, May 15th, 2010 AT 1:22 AM
DEISELFIRE136
Hey I have the exact same problem. People are telling me it could be the idle air or speed control sensor but I've replaced it. I did put some old gas with gas treatment in my tank and I had half a tank of new gas already in my fuel tank before so I highly doubt water in the gas was the problem for me. I have no codes either. I replaced the air filter and had one leak in the air intake behind the Idle Air control sensor towards the right corner. I fixed that with a new hose and tightened everything. Cleaned out all the other sensors and replaced TPS sensor. The truck barely wants to start and when I turn the ignition it cranks up and then turns off. Sometimes it won't even start. The battery I noticed was low and as we speak I have it charging. I was also told if you don't have at least a solid 12V on the battery the truck will not be able to start. It needs the battery to feed the injectors electrically until the fuel takes over and the car can run off of the fuel and not the battery. But until you don't get those 12V the car won't have enough to start.
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2016 AT 8:37 PM
DEISELFIRE136
Notice the idle air control valve/ sensor and tps usually fix the problems of dodge rams when they stall at stop signs or red lights or even when turning. But in our case it is different. We both replaced the sensors and it is still doing the same symptoms. It has to be something bigger and doubt it if the battery is the only cause. Keep you all posted
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2016 AT 8:43 PM
DEISELFIRE136
http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/3aa02-dodge-ram-1500-will-not-start-assuredly-fuel-problem.html

Maybe it is the battery.
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2016 AT 9:11 PM