A/C stops working

2003 DODGE RAM
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
Air Conditioning problem
2003 Dodge Ram Four Wheel Drive Automatic 104, 00 miles

A/C blows ice cold while driving, stops blowing cold air anytime the vehicle is at idle at a stop light, as soon as I start accelerating, it's blowing cold again.
Monday, March 17th, 2008 AT 2:47 PM

MASTER TECH DAN
Check your vacuum at the door for the ac evap you may not have enough at idle.

This guide will help us fix it

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-air-conditioner-not-working-or-is-weak

Please run down this guide and report back.
-1
Thursday, January 9th, 2020 AT 10:48 AM
KCWOODS
Mine is doing the same thing. I posted a question also. I noticed that my compressor clutch was disengaging when stopped. It will come on for a second or 2 then drop out for about 5 or 8 seconds again. Its not staying engaged long enough to cool. Check your clutch. I dont know yet whats cousing this but if I find out I will reply back if you'l do the same. I think its gonna be a pressure switch or stat.
Thursday, January 9th, 2020 AT 10:48 AM
MAGJAG1669
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
My air blows hot when I stop at a traffic light. But when im driving the air comes out cold.

I dont know what could be the problem :(
Wednesday, July 1st, 2020 AT 12:33 PM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT
The most common cause for your problem is poor air flow across the condensor due to bad fan clutch. And sometimes the compressor may shut off if idle speed is to low. Open hood see if clutch on comp is turning if so check fan clutch with engine at op temp fan should be hard to turn by hand also see if fan wobbles when you move the blades back and forth ie. Engine off during fan check.
Let me know what you find
TED COOPER
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
My Dodge ac does not get cold until I start driving!
Is it possible it may need a charge?
Ted
2CEXPT
Check the high and low presssure to verify the freon content if okay -check for faulty low pressure cutout switch
SALMON77
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
When climate control is on heat, either on the floor or vent mode, it blows hot air on the passenger side and blows cool on the drivers side. When it is on defrost mode is the only time it blows equally warm air on both sides. The temp. Control actuator is working and the actuator to change from defrost to floor vents is working too. I'm afraid its something deeper inside that I can't see I will have to take apart the entire dash board to figure it out. Help!
DOCFIXIT
Hi
Is system dual zone? If yes then drivers side blend door motor is not functioning. System is self diagnostic by use of DRBIII scanner but that means trip to dealer. Would save a lot of unnecessary work though.
Hope this helps
JOHN COLUCCI
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
My heater only blows heat from the air vents or defroster not the floor I suspect the deflector door is broke how hard a repair is this and is there any info available for thisrepair?
The vent doors are actuated by vacuum. I would start by checking and listening for vacuum leaks nder the dash when you switch to the floor. Make sure the engine is running to create the vacuum. That way you may hear a hissing sound.

Let me know if you find a leak. If not, I will try to find you pictures of the system for you.

JBOY22
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
My air conditioner cools when the truck is at highway sppeds, however, it does not cool while the motor is at idle. The compressor cycles on and off every few seconds when at idle. I have tried recharging the coolant, but it does not seem to improve. What is my next step?
Wednesday, July 1st, 2020 AT 12:34 PM (Merged)
BLACKOP555
Compressor will cycle on and off if pressure is too high or too low in the system or if the evaporator core gets to cold and begins to ice.

Chances are your pump is weak and only produces enough pressure to run ssytem at above idle.

You need a pressure guage set and a refr. Machine to check whats going on
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
Hi I have a 2002 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 v8 4.7 liter. It has about 85000 miles on it. The a/c gets warm when stopped at lights and only cools when driving. I have added four cans of 134a to it. It still has not fixed the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, July 1st, 2020 AT 12:36 PM (Merged)
FATHEAD32
Did you check your ac fan?
The blower fan was replaced about a month ago.
JREGISTER@CFL.RR.COM
Hi, I just read your post and I wanted to tell you I had the same issue. My problem was a blow condenser fan fuse. Prevouisly I repaced a battery that dead shorted. I believe that caused the fuse to blow for the condenser. In any case I had the same exact problem as you. Idle or slow no cold air, except for higher speeds. It threw me because of this but it makes sense. Because of the air blowing from the higher speeds it cooled the condenser and idle did not. Now I have to figure out how to shut off hte freakin engine light.

I hope this helps
Jerry :D
TONY112174
I'm not a mechanic but this has happened to me and took it in to ac shop to have vaccumed down and fixed the problem. Also fan must run as other say
TIREMAN1554
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
I noticed my truck a/c started to short cycle and not cool anymore. I figured it was just loe on freon. I purchased a can. I put my guage on the low side with the a/c on high and the guage reading was 55-60 when the compressor was running (ambient temp was 70), and pegged out past 100 when it kicked off. I see no leaks anywhere. Is it low on freon or is one of the switches( High or Low) bad?
LEGITIMATE007
Sounds like your high pressure switch is bad, but I still think there is a leak somewhere. Although your high pressure switch will mimic a low coolant symptom if it is bad.
HBUCK1215
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
With ac on blower works the lines at the firewall to evap freeze up right away no cold air idoes this unit work with a expansion valve or orfice tube and is there such a thing a a orfice filter if so wher would it be located and could that be the problem any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you

Sponsored links