1999 Dodge Ram fan blower motor

RADESTRASSE
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
Fan blower motor will not come on at any speed. Disconected plug at fan motor and hotwired motor, it worked. Changed fuses and relays at fuse box and under hood. Took blower fan switch out of dash and checked back of plug, with key on, with test light. There seems to be no current flow at the switch, which I checked with test light also
Saturday, July 4th, 2009 AT 5:45 PM

BUDDYCRAIGG
It sounds like you are handy and can check stuff out.

Do you have a schematic? I can try to dig one up for you if you dont.

Also, dodges work backwards. The power goes to the blower motor first, then the resistors, then to the switch for it's ground.
+1
Saturday, July 4th, 2009 AT 6:46 PM
RADESTRASSE
Thank you for the response, don't quite understand about Dodge electrical working backwards(may need to explain a little better). No I do not have a wiring schematic for this vehicle. Any more information would be greatly appreciated.
+1
Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 9:44 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
For most cars, the power flows this way.
Battery>ignition switch>fuse box>heater control head>blower motor resistors or relay>blower motor> ground.

Most dodges are backwards.

I'll hunt up a schematic for you.
Do you have a Ram van or truck?
+3
Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 10:48 PM
RADESTRASSE
I have a 1999 dodge ram 2500 diesel truck. Thanks for your reply.
+1
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009 AT 4:23 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
They were to big for me to put them online, so I emailed them to you.
+1
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009 AT 5:48 PM
RADESTRASSE
Received your e-mail with the schematic. Will try to get it figured out, hope it's something obvious. Thanks for all your help, and will keep you posted
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009 AT 10:12 PM
MDKLUCK
Hello buddycraigg,

I have a problem with my truck's blower turning off when the headlight switch is turned on. Could you email me that schematic? I would really appreciate it. The Haynes manual I have doesn't have the heater blower circuit. My email is mdkluck@hotmail. Com.
-1
Wednesday, December 16th, 2009 AT 6:11 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Mdkluck,
the blower speed switch and the lights that illuminate the heater controls share a common ground.

You have a bad ground with that circuit.

So when your lights are off, your blower is finding a ground, "backwards" through all of your lights.

When you turn the dash lights on, the ground goes away.
+3
Wednesday, December 16th, 2009 AT 10:37 PM
MDKLUCK
Hello Buddycraigg,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a schematic for the heater blower circuit for a 99 Dodge Ram 2500?
+1
Thursday, December 17th, 2009 AT 11:12 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Check your email
Thursday, December 17th, 2009 AT 10:40 PM
JALEX19100
I'd like the schematic also (97 Ram 1500 2wd). I saw there was a recall (today) to add a relay off of the parking brake and I've seen it there, but I haven't checked it (tonight maybe).

I've replaced the blower motor resistor (it was a little off but probably not bad) and checked the voltage (Hayne's says green but mine is coming in on the orange wire to the motor) to the motor and it's fine, but the ground isn't getting connected to the motor. (Less than 0.5V read between the +/- on the wires to the motor, but full 13+V when I use a door hinge bolt as ground) The backwards wiring makes a lot of sense.

I've checked the control switch pin continuity and they vary with the setting, so that seems fine (but no wiring info on what the pins on the control do). I have full voltage between the bottom wire and some of the others. The vacuum lines are good, no leaks, suprisingly.

Where is the ground connection that the blower motor circuit would use? I applied CAIG DeOxit D5 (amazing stuff) to the ground connections I could find under the hood and cleaned up most connections if they looked rusty/oxidized but I feel like there is a broken ground connection. Because it stopped working intermittently and then later stopped completely, I feel like it's a connection somewhere.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Friday, February 19th, 2010 AT 9:37 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
It sounds like you are on the right track and will probably figure out where the problem is once you see the schematics.

I've email you at your pobox. Com account.

Remember there are 2 switches in the heater control head that the ground goes through, the speed switch, and the mode switch.
+1
Saturday, February 20th, 2010 AT 8:06 PM
JALEX19100
Thanks for the schematic. It was the relay, apparently. The relay is working but wasn't connecting somehow. I sprayed the connection with the Deoxit D5 and connected/reconnected it a few times and it has been working normally again. No more scraping the inside windows now!
Saturday, February 20th, 2010 AT 8:20 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Glad you got it fixed,
that deoxit is great stuff, (it almost makes it worth the 18 bucks for that tiny little can)

and also, I have sent you a PM.
Saturday, February 20th, 2010 AT 8:26 PM