1997 Dodge Neon BRAKES WON'T BUILD UP

49WILLARD
  • 1997 DODGE NEON
A hole rubbed into front Right brake line. Line was replaced. Added new fluid, bled fronts and rear (both sides) several times. But the brake pedal goes to floor each time car is started and pdedal won't stiffen. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

Note: the brakes operated fine before the hole developed in the line.

Appreciate your help!
Will
Friday, January 4th, 2008 AT 2:29 PM

MERLIN2021
The first part of the system that needs to be bled is the master cylinder, unscrew the lines from it, and install brass plugs into the master, then gently pump the pedal about half way on each stroke, continue until the pedal will not pump any higher, it should not move when all air is bled out, now connect the lines, have someone step on and hold the pedal, and crack the lines open just a granny, then close them, do this until all air is expelled. Now you can, if needed bleed the rest of the system! Bleed this way, RR, LF, LR, RF! DO NOT allow the master to go dry while bleeding! And use only DOT 3 or 4! Brake fluid.
Friday, January 4th, 2008 AT 2:35 PM
49WILLARD
Sir You said to "continue (pumping pedal half way) until the pedal will not pump any higher, it should not move when all air is bled out" of the Mstr Cylinder. My question now is: So just by putting in the plugs and pumping pedal the air escapes? Or do I need to granny the plugs after pumping to release the air?

I plan to do bleed today since the temp is up to a warm 50 degrees.

Again, Thank you for you advice.
Monday, January 7th, 2008 AT 7:29 AM
MERLIN2021
No just install the plugs and pump, no granny needed!
Monday, January 7th, 2008 AT 3:53 PM
49WILLARD
I plugged the Master cylinder. Pedal got hard as you perdicted.
Then I bleed lines at Mstr cyl, the brakes got hard. But when I start up the engine the brake pedal goes right to the floor? What is the problem Merlin?
Wednesday, January 9th, 2008 AT 1:21 PM
MERLIN2021
Now you bleeed at the wheels!
Wednesday, January 9th, 2008 AT 2:23 PM
49WILLARD
Hi again, I bled the brakes in the order you suggested (LR, RF, RR, RF), But the pedal WILL NOT stiffen & is fluid full. Pedal just goes right to the floor and won't harden?
OK, You've been patient to answer thus far. This will be my last request of your time.

Have a blessed weekend!
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 7:53 AM
MERLIN2021
If you can get some hose clamps for the four brake hoses, put one on each hose, see if you now have a pedal. If yes remove them one ata time this will pinpont the bad wheel! If no pedal with all clamps on, remove the mastr from the booster and start the car, does vacuum leak occur at the front of the booster, And have you checked the check valve on the booster hose? It should allow air to pass only one way!
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 9:53 AM
49WILLARD
You know, I heard this vacuum noise and discovered it was something on the firewall near the Master cylinder. Don't know what it is or why NO hose was in it? So I stuck a small hose in this vacuum point (12" long or so). It is still sucking air but suction not as strong w/ hose.
I guess the hose should connect to something but I don't see or know where? Is this vacuum point what you were referring to in your last comment?
Its very cold in NE OH so I haven't been touching the car much.

Appreciate your time and advice
Wednesday, January 16th, 2008 AT 2:32 PM
MERLIN2021
Look under the hood for your vacuum routing label.
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2008 AT 8:24 AM
49WILLARD
Thank you vey much for your previous help.
I finally got the brakes working again. After I replaced the R-F calipher and bleeding the system again, the brakes built up fine. So the Calipher was the MAIN PROBLEM.

Thanks again!
Tuesday, February 12th, 2008 AT 10:22 AM