1995 Dodge Neon oil leak

• 1 POST
  • 1995 DODGE NEON

1995 Dodge Neon Automatic 250000 miles

I have a 1995 dodge neon and recently I had two seals blow out behind the timing belt, as told by a mechanic when he diagnosed my car problem aka my oil leak. He told me that before removing anything at all that my timing belt was most likely soaked with oil. He suggested me getting a new timing belt even though it was replaced in spring. How does he know the timing belt will be soaked and should I get it replaced? I don't have the money at the time so I decided I would take my chances and just ask him to clean it up as much as possible. Was it the right choice?

Friday, November 21st, 2008 AT 4:31 PM

HI there,

It is good practice to replace a timing belt that has been contaminated with oil, the oil can affect the rubber compound in the timing belt over a period of time, I also suggest changing oil affected belts, this is just a precaution, your mechanic is looking after your car correctly, but it is your choice in the end.

Friday, November 21st, 2008 AT 5:19 PM