Oil leak

• 2005 DODGE NEON

I am working on a 05 dodge neon 2.0. Has a major oil leak. From my first view it looked like the oil was coming from the oil pan. After finishing numerous other repairs on it, I took it for a drive pulled it back into the garage and the thing was pouring out oil. After cleaning it up I filled it back up with oil and started it, I also checked torque on the pan bolts, I then started it, no leak, then I reved it up to about 2000 rpms now the oil started pouring out, leak is coming from somwhere around the front of the engine, Thinking possibly crank seal or oil pump. You would think if it was the crank seal it would leak all the time, but with the oil pump would possibily leak when pressure builds up more. Now am I on the right track here and what is the easiest way to find this mystery leak. Been working on equipment for 16yrs and usually the more it leaks the easier it is to find but this one goes in the books for the worst.

Saturday, November 12th, 2011 AT 6:21 PM

You might consider borrowing or renting a "smoke machine". There's a good chance you'll find one at an auto parts store that borrows tools. It puts out white non-toxic smoke at 2 psi that is real helpful when looking for small leaks in the evaporative emissions system. I would unscrew the oil pressure sending unit and inject the smoke there, then watch for where it sneaks out.

Saturday, November 12th, 2011 AT 6:37 PM