OIL LIGHT COMES ON ALONG WITH KNOCK

2001 Dodge Intrepid

j.stieg

December, 18, 2008 AT 6:21 PM

Noises problem
2001 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

I have a car that the oil light comes on when the oil level is correct. The oil light starts blinking and then stayes on, it immediatly after the oil light comes on it starts knocking. Do you know what causes this? Jared.

Docfixit

December, 19, 2008 AT 11:39 AM

Hi
Your loosing oil pressure and you hear bearing knock. Need to get looked at A.S.A.P. Or you may lose engine.
Let me know and will advise

j.stieg

I figured it out on myself that the loss of oil pressure was due to a secondary timing chain tensioner that came lose. So I tightend it down and oil pressure is back. I runs fine now except for knocking for one second at startup. This only happens if set over night. After the engine is just shut off it start back up normal with no noise.

I suspect the primary chain tensioner o ring is bad causing the oil pocket to slowly drain back down.

Do you think that is it, if not then what? Jared

Docfixit

January, 6, 2009 AT 8:34 AM

That is a possibility to check remove right valve cover look at tenisioner plunger can you see the machined grove? If so then indicates chain and associated parts worn. If not you can try and reset plunger.

Engine Oil Change and Filter GMC Sierra
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Kia Rio
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350