1997 Dodge Intrepid Warm car idles rough and smells of gas

METZGERR5314
  • 1997 DODGE INTREPID
My 1997 Intrepid runs great while cold. As it warms up it idles rough and runs rough. When stopped at a light while idling rough you can smell gas. Otherwise when not idling rough no gas smell. Is the EGR valve sticking open?
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 2:33 PM

ZACKMAN
This is an emission problem. You should get a code. If I am to guess, instead of your EGR, check your EVAP system: Purge solenoid valve and/or canister.
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 11:21 PM
METZGERR5314
CEL is now on. Had it scanned today. Got P0302, P0306 codes now. Gas smell may be from flooding?
Going to change spark plug wires and plugs.
Monday, December 1st, 2008 AT 4:53 PM
ZACKMAN
You should not have any fuel smell or "flooding". I would test for fuel pressure, after you replace the plugs.
Monday, December 1st, 2008 AT 9:27 PM
METZGERR5314
Replaced the plugs, wires, coil. Ran great for two weeks! This week started again. Runs fine cold. After warming up (about 3-4 miles) runs rough, idles rough, misfires throwing codes P0302, 304, 306. No gas smell, but do smell exhaust while sitting idle. Noticed some holes in catalytic converter. What's confusing us is the fact that the misfires are not consistent. Always misfires in the morning after warming up. But then runs great after sitting for an hour or so. Misfire driving home from work after sitting for several hours.
Saturday, December 20th, 2008 AT 10:30 AM
ZACKMAN
P0302, 304, and 306. Those are cylinders 2, 4, and 6. They are all on the same cylinder head. I suspect that you have low compression on that head. I would do a compression test and a leak down test on the cylinder head. Whatever problem that you are having, has something to do with the entire cylinder head.
Saturday, December 20th, 2008 AT 7:35 PM
GOODFELLAS1957
109 k possible jump timing on that bank 3.5 belts last about 105-110k
Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 4:49 PM
Check compression, plugs and wires to that side of the engine. Let me know what you find. Also, make sure the fuel pressure regulator is working properly.
Friday, December 17th, 2010 AT 5:17 PM