CAR WON'T IDLE (STAY RUNNING) AFTER STAR

2003 Dodge Durango

biggdaddy

February, 6, 2010 AT 1:29 PM

2003 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

HI there. I have a 2003 Dodge Durang w/ 95,000 miles on it. It has been running great until yesterday. I couldn't get it to turn over at first. I hooked up jumper cables from wifes car and was able to get it to start. It would not stay running? The only way I could get it to idle after starting it was pumping the gas. As soon as I stop the car dies. Dead battery? Alternator? I'm terrible with cars, ugh!

Dies On Idle

February, 6, 2010 AT 1:34 PM

Check and test the coolant temperature and throttle position sensor if okay clean out the idle air control valve and see what happens.

PeterMarcus

February, 8, 2010 AT 4:31 PM

I had the same issue with my 2001 Durango -- it would start after a jump, but would die when idle. Ended up being a bad battery. It was a Die-Hard and it ended up testing bad at Sears (I got a new one).

Advance Auto Parts and a few other places will test battery, alternator, and starter for free, too.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang