2003 DODGE DURANGO CAR WON'T IDLE (STAY RUNNING) AFTER STAR

• biggdaddy
  • 2003 Dodge Durango

2003 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

HI there. I have a 2003 Dodge Durang w/ 95,000 miles on it. It has been running great until yesterday. I couldn't get it to turn over at first. I hooked up jumper cables from wifes car and was able to get it to start. It would not stay running? The only way I could get it to idle after starting it was pumping the gas. As soon as I stop the car dies. Dead battery? Alternator? I'm terrible with cars, ugh!

Saturday, February 6th, 2010 AT 1:29 PM

• rasmataz

Check and test the coolant temperature and throttle position sensor if okay clean out the idle air control valve and see what happens.

Saturday, February 6th, 2010 AT 1:34 PM
  • PeterMarcus

I had the same issue with my 2001 Durango -- it would start after a jump, but would die when idle. Ended up being a bad battery. It was a Die-Hard and it ended up testing bad at Sears (I got a new one).

Advance Auto Parts and a few other places will test battery, alternator, and starter for free, too.

Monday, February 8th, 2010 AT 4:31 PM